18 foot Mod V boats in rough water

• Ted
    Participant

Any 18’ mod v boat owners out there? I’m looking at getting an alumacraft 1860 with a 4 stroke 90 hp Yamaha and was wondering if this style of boat would be big enough to handle 4’ waves if drove slowly and the properly?

mojogunter
    Participant

I had a 1775 proV and a 385XS stratos. 17’9″ 150hp and 18’6″ 200HP I had them both out in bigger than 4′ many times. You just have to be smart about how you drive in the waves. Both boats did fine. The Lund is not even remotely a dry ride. The stratos was much drier ride. I am guessing the alumacraft would be just fine in big waves.

Ted
    Participant

I had a 1775 proV and a 385XS stratos. 17’9″ 150hp and 18’6″ 200HP I had them both out in bigger than 4′ many times. You just have to be smart about how you drive in the waves. Both boats did fine. The Lund is not even remotely a dry ride. The stratos was much drier ride. I am guessing the alumacraft would be just fine in big waves.

The Mod V is not a deep v style boat, it’s a flat bottom with a V on the front to help break waves does that make difference?

munchy
    Participant
    NULL

I have a 16′ Mod V Lund and it is certainly a rougher ride than a Deep V, but for the occasional rough water it will be fine. Just know your limitations. The biggest difference with a Mod V is if you hit a wave at speed and get even a tad bit airborn you will come down hard and it will feel like the boat is doing a belly flop.

mxskeeter
    Participant
    SW Wisconsin

A mod v is not gonna be fun in 4 footers. I would not be out with one in 4 footers.

Ross Gunderson
    Participant

They are pretty brutal in decent waves. As stated above its a big bang when they get a little air off a wave but great in glass calm conditions for stability.

Ted
    Participant

They are pretty brutal in decent waves. As stated above its a big bang when they get a little air off a wave but great in glass calm conditions for stability.

Is it brutal if you are going at slower speeds even? How much different is a 18’ mod v compared to a 17’ vas’s boat?

dbright
    Participant
    Cambridge

If you intend on being in that situation more than once and awhile I would be looking at a different boat. I have had my flat bottom in stuff it should not of been in but it wasn’t by choice. A open boat with relatively low sides and no splash well are a good way to fill a boat with water quick.

munchy
    Participant
    NULL

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ross Gunderson wrote:</div>

Is it brutal if you are going at slower speeds even? How much different is a 18’ mod v compared to a 17’ vas’s boat?

No. Going over them at a slower speed will be smoother. As long as you drive to your personal and the boats ability they will be fine. The boat will tell you when its limits are being pushed. They are better suited for calm shallow waters but they have a V-nose for a reason, to break the occasional wave. I’ve had mine out on Mille Lacs a few times and really the only reason I would cut a trip short because of heavy waves is that they aren’t super stable when you’re trying to stand on the bow casting for bass, you’ll feel like it’s trying to buck you out. But had I been sitting down trolling or drifting for walleye I likely would have stayed out.

Ben Brettingen
    Mississippi

Depending on the dominant period, true 4 footers are going to be hell in just about any walleye boat. Like others have said, yes it’s definitely doable if you have the skill, but I wouldn’t want to sign up for that in anything other than a 31′ Ameracat.

Judging wave height is an exercise in exaggeration in many cases. In true 3 foot seas, sitting down in your boat at the bottom of the trough, you’ll be just over eye level with the waves, and be able to see the next wave or so. 4 footers you probably couldn’t see the next wave.

B-man
    Participant

Any 18’ mod v boat owners out there? I’m looking at getting an alumacraft 1860 with a 4 stroke 90 hp Yamaha and was wondering if this style of boat would be big enough to handle 4’ waves if drove slowly and the properly?

Where are you fishing in four foot waves?

Unless they’re spread way out I won’t even take my Grady White out in them…..let alone a jon boat.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

I second the question on where you are planning on fishing. I think there’s a fairly small amount of lakes in MN where you have to worry about 4′ waves with any regularity(LOTW, Mille Lacs, Superior, etc.).

If you are planning on buying a boat to primarily fish those waters, I think a mod V is just not the right decision.

But I’m kind of a wuss when it comes to big waves in big water, it’s just not anything I ever want to mess with just to catch a few fish.

Can they handle it? Sure, and a geo metro can tow a Ranger 621, but it’s just not the right choice to do so. They used to commercially net fish on LOTW decades ago in small aluminum boats, in just about any weather condition. Those boats are capable of doing the job, but they also lost family members doing that work.

Wayne Daul
    Participant
    Green Bay, Wi

I fish a lot on big water have 18′ 6″ glass boat and it isn’t fun in anything over three footers. Had same size tin boat very deep V high sided boat and it also wasn’t fun. Your biggest problem would be taking water over the bow that’s when big trouble starts. Big water requires a deep V boat for safety reasons and even then 4 footer’s means card time till better weather.

mojogunter
    Participant

Ah wasn’t aware of that. I’ve never been in one, but I would think it would suck in 4′ waves.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mojogunter wrote:</div>

The Mod V is not a deep v style boat, it’s a flat bottom with a V on the front to help break waves does that make difference?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.