10+ lb walleye! Wapsi, Small River, Big Bite!!

• Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

Finally broke the ten pound mark with a pre-spawn beauty. 28.5″ and 10.25 pounds. Caught pitching a 1/16th oz head and a shad fluke. She crushed it ten feet from shore, the rest is history!

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0564.jpg

2. IMG_0566.jpg

3. IMG_0563.jpg

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

peace peace peace

Joel VandeKrol
    Ankeny, IA

Great fish Steven! applause The Wapsi has been hot this spring.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

Sorry the photos are pointing in every which direction:)

Timmy

With a walleye like that, who cares how the pics allign!!! Thats great – congrats!!

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Very nice walleye Steve, I think your fish is the one that a guy was telling me about. I know where your fishing on the west side but won’t tell. I’ve been hammering the smallies there lately, all 15 to 18″ fish, hoping for one bigger but it didn’t swim by. The last trip I took my johnboat and came up the west side where its deeper and then nosed up to the rock pile offshore and anchored off by throwing the anchor onto the rocks, then drifted minnows under a slip bobber, couldn’t fish with two poles. About 3′ of water and I set the minnow at about two feet and you didn’t even have to throw out, just put the bobber and minnow 2′ too 4′ off the side of the boat. I must have been right ontop of their spawning bed. I took a few home and the females eggs were real deep yellow and a lot of blood on their eggs, they are either spawning right now or will within the next week. If you have a johnboat Steve get some minnows and try that rockpile, I must have caught 50, I was getting tired of catching them, a small 1 1/2″ crankbait works ok but not like minnows under a slip bobber, you can count on a bite atleast one every minute, just let the minnow drift around a little, their in there like cordwood and a lot better then the shore bite. Everybody on shore was watching me catch them and occasionally they would get one. You can wade out to that rockpile from the east or powerhouse side but not from the west. I think its about 3 feet deep straight out from the rockpile below the hole down from the wall. Again very Nice walleye Steve and my boy lives in Springville now, you didn’t put him back did ya? see ya later

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

On a side note Steve, do you know where Waubeek is, try that stretch of the Wapsi. I talked to a guy that’s lived and fished there for 30 years, 3 years ago and asked about the rumors of big walleyes in that area. He said if you don’t catch one atleast 14 pounds you don’t even have to tell anyone, he said theres some huge ones in that part of the river. Most guys have bigger boats that bottom out in the Wapsi, a small jon with a 10 or less is ideal, plus the big smallies there too, good luck and let me know if you do any good, later Steve

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Not around here Bob, theres not that many that visit the site from around this area and the ones who do already know about that area.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Congrats on a great fishing milestone!

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

Dan,
    I didn’t see your boy down there. After I caught that fish, I was turkey hunting. Got back down there last week, wanna say Thursday, and caught 20 or 30 smallies afterwork. I fish with Big George a lot, the guy that sells hair jigs and has a gray beard. He said that whilst I was turkey hunting, he caught a lot of nice bass. I have a picture of a 21.5″ smallie that he caught. Since then, I’ve been chasing flatheads. I’m sure I’ll have a post of some tankers here soon:)

Steve

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Steve, Just seen your post after three days, the female smallies are off their beds now but a guy can still catch a lot of males and haven’t heard of many walleyes being caught lately. I’m waiting for the wipers and whitebass to start going, which I think they probably are right now, been changing ball joints and wheel bearings in my boys SUV, he helped, now its time to go fishing again, I’ll report if its any good.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.