Working on a trolling motor foot control

• belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Okay guys and gals. I have a Minnkota powerdrive and it won’t turn to the right. Take apart the foot pedal and have a look? never done it so any tips would be great. I’m a little concerned that getting the springs back on could be a pain.

As always, thanks in advance for the thorough replies I’m about to get!

fishdale

I had the same trouble and took mine apart a couple of times did not seem to be a big issue getting it back together. The problem kept returning and finally dished out $70 for a new one on e bay and have not had a issue since.

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

The coating over the contacts is probably worn through- been down that road twice in the past. Lots of suggestions on the internet for a very temporary fix at best. Your best bet would be to replace the entire assembly or find a new board to install.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Okay guys and gals. I have a Minnkota powerdrive and it won’t turn to the right. Take apart the foot pedal and have a look? never done it so any tips would be great. I’m a little concerned that getting the springs back on could be a pain.

Just buy a NEW foot control and be done with it !!

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>belletaine wrote:</div>

Just buy a NEW foot control and be done with it !!

That’s what I’m gonna do Jeff. Been spending a lot of money lately and thought if it was something simple…well, you know.

Thanks guys!

Ron
    Victoria, mn

It’s not that hard to get the springs back in. Use some electrical tape to keep the top loop on, hook a short piece of thin wire on the bottom loop to thread through the bottom so you can grab the springs with a needle nose. My experience has been that cleaning all the crud out and relubeing the slide actuators fixes it. I’ve done it a couple of times on mine. The last time I shaved some of the top cover down to get more travel in the actuators. Works better now.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

I’m a little concerned that getting the springs back on could be a pain.

Actually, the springs can be fully inserted and attached from the bottom side. No need to run a fish wire or worry about the top end coming un-hooked.

Set the top pedal in place over the base plate. Grab one end a spring with needle nose pliers. (the spring should be orientated such that it is extending out from and in line with the jaws) Insert the free end of the spring into one of the spring openings, hook the upper end onto the slot in the pedal, pull the lower end down and clip that end of the spring onto the base. Do the same with the remaining spring and your done.

I too, always thought I had to hook the upper ends all up BEFORE assembly till I had one drop out of place un-noticed. Just picked the spring up off the floor and inserted it as I described above. Very easy, better than trying to keep them all hooked up at once.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.