Winnipeg Greenhead Shoot

• Ben Brettingen
    Mississippi

It’s been a little while since I’ve had the chance to sit in a layout blind with thousands of orange feet in your face, we headed up to Winnipeg to experience just that. The plan was to head just north of the perimeter of Winnipeg, which is essentially the 494 of the Twin Cities. Cell phones lit up with pictures of countless greenheads heading into a wet wheat field. It was actually one of the last things on our mind as we were still hours out from Winnipeg, still needing to cross the border, and pick up licenses before Cabelas closed at 9pm. We lost cell service as we successfully crossed the border at Pembina-Emerson right on schedule, but we didn’t have much time to spare, it was 7:30pm and we had another hour of driving. Traffic became a little hairy but the neon Cabelas sign called us in. 3 licenses later we were golden, awaiting the morning to come.

One of our hosts for the morning, Meats, swung by our place and lead us out of town to the spot. A quick stop at Tim Horton’s, a few miles of windshield time, and we arrived at the field. We met Matt Cornell of Bruin Outfitters, and you could tell he was giddy for the morning shoot.

The wheat field with a flooded patch was the spot, and with a south wind, switching to east we were playing the odds by setting up for a changing east wind.

Minutes prior to shooting light droves of mallards swarmed our spread, flocks of thousands piled in on us. The group tore into flock after flock, but as the sun came up, the blinds began to stand out more and more and the wind still hadn’t changed.

We set up in a patch of standing wheat but the wind didn’t allow the birds to commit feet down into the landing zone. slowly we chipped away at the birds. It was simply astounding the number of ducks using this field, it was a non stop show of greenheads for the first 3 hours of daylight.

When the feathers finally settled and the sun grew higher in the sky, we ended the day with 50 mallards down in the field. A truly awesome Canadian duck shoot, one I will remember for years to come!

Attachments:
    1. Web-winnie-3-of-3.jpg

2. Web-winnie-2-of-3.jpg

3. Web-winnie-1-of-3.jpg

deertracker

I sure hope this is the next video…. -) What a hunt!
    DT

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

That sounds absolutely awesome!!! I just love field hunting ducks and the way they decoy in huge flocks in Canada. Hunt of a lifetime no doubt!

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

Bet that black lab was as HAPPY as you were. Duck Dogs Love Ducks Down.!! rrr

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

Sounds like an awesome hunt. I’ll have to add that one to my bucket list. I have never field hunted ducks like that I looks like a blast!

Dave

Ben Brettingen
    Mississippi

It was a riot. You really can’t beat Canadian Greenheads!

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Wow. Hot barrels at dawn. That sets the bar pretty high for the next hunt, that’s for sure.

Nice hunt and great pics. You’ll remember that one forever.

Grouse

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

The guys just gave me a preview of some of the footage… mallards in swarms EVERYWHERE. By the thousands. Maybe tens of thousands?? If you hunt waterfowl that area has to be on your radar and on the bucket list.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I can’t wait to see the video boys!!

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

I can’t wait to see the video boys!!

What he said!!!

Mark

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Awesome video, what a great hunt!!! Makes me want to bail out of work right now and hit the pond or slew or field.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.