What? No football threads yet?

• TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Cripes. No football threads yet? Everybody must be too busy fishing.

Or maybe the outlook is too bleak to talk about as far as the pro game goes? Packers, Vikings, looks like it could be the same story as last year.

Woah boy. Watching the Pack get their buttskies whipped by the Seahawks, I was thinking it was like groundhog year. Have to say, I didn’t think the Pack would win, but I thought they’d have a little more to offer than that.

Talking about who was best in the NFC north last year struck me as a fool’s errand considering what they would be up against in the playoffs. With the Pack being in essentially an odds tie for division favorite again this year…

Vikings are coming off a perfect preseason. Which might be a season highlight. I hope the Vikes are improved, but I don’t have a lot of confidence in the QB situation once the opposing D’s have their A-game on display.

Oh well, at least the Gophs are looking gret against Middle Tenn. 2 interceptions converted for TDs in the first half. I just like Jerry Kill and I’m happy to see the program regaining some (mainly self) respect after the Punky Brewster/Glenn Mason eras almost drove the programe into the the ground.

Grouse

igotone

pretty easy Rams beat Vikings

AP gets hurt season over

GOD I still do not like this new site

the over 1 was easier get around

1st post since change over

do not even login hardly any more

sorry 4 the rant

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

pretty easy Rams beat Vikings

AP gets hurt season over

GOD I still do not like this new site

the over 1 was easier get around

1st post since change over

do not even login hardly any more

sorry 4 the rant

So pessimistic, yet you fly the twins banner…..wth? <devil>

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Iowa State played a very surprising game against Kansas and was close to a win.

Iowa on the other hand played like crap! Should have lost but pulled enough together to finish with a W when it counted.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Go Seahawks!

Based on nothing really, I think the Vikes surprise a lot of people and go 10-6. Coaching upgrade, no QB drama.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Can’t talk trash when everybody is sporting trash.

Badgers lose
    Packers lose
    Gophers beat little sisters of the poor
    Vikings are the Vikings.

Once the Pack & Badgers win a game they will become world beaters once again. You just wait and see.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

You’d think the Packer fans would have at least come in and used the injury excuse.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

Agreed! Badgers got healthy on W Il and the Pack will roll over the Jets!! Back in the saddle!!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Crap I should have gone with my first instinct of 11-5. Just 9 more wins to go.

Looks like Patterson is a nice replacement for the oft injured Harvin.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

The bears snatched defeat from the jaws of victory, that almost makes up for the packs pitiful performance Thursday night. Almost.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

“the packs pitiful performance”…..

The new norm.

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

It’s just one game but I really like how Zimmer has this team playing defense. DB’s are up on their guy, jumping routes, playing physical. Bahr lead the team in tackles, new guy from Giants gets a sack, Harrison Smith is back and scored a TD!
    The D kept the Rams in check and set up the offense for the first TD. Then the offense got going, Patterson is going to be fun to watch!!

Go G-Men, Vikes could be only team to win in North!

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Well, the Vikes managed to win and look good against the Rams, but it sounds to me like they know it is what it is–a win against the Rams. I think Zimmer has the team in the right place mentally that there’s winning and then there’s playing at a high level.

As far as I’m concerned the REAL opener is next week. The Pats got ambushed by a much-improved Miami and I’m going to bet they aren’t happy about it. We’ll see what the Vikes can bring to The Bank.

Tough week/weekend in Sconi, but it’s only week one.

Grouse

Paulski
    “Ever Wonder Why There Are No Democrats On Mount Rushmore ? "

I hope you queens fans are not basing your hopes on them beating the Rams, as eventually they will have to start playing against varsity teams …. just saying

As far as my Pack, I did not have them winning in Seattle, but hoped they would look better. Like it or not injuries are part of the game, so one can only hope we can replace our starting nose tackle, starting right tackle, starting center and starting running back quickly as they sure come in handy …

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

so one can only hope we can replace our starting nose tackle, starting right tackle, starting center and starting running back quickly

Here come the excuses!!

youngfry
    Northeast Iowa

Not surprising that the Vikings beat the Rams… they are terrible. Yet they beat them convincingly. They will win some games if all can stay healthy. Game went about how I thought it would go… AP is good, Patterson is scary, defense is decent.

BTW I’m not a Vikings fan, nor do I cheer for anyone in the NFC North so I’m fairly objective when it comes to the Vikings and Packers.

Packers will be fine… the Seahawks are really really good, especially at home. No reason to overreact for either team. The NFC North will be tight this year, all teams are about on the same level it looks like.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I hope you queens fans are not basing your hopes on them beating the Rams, as eventually they will have to start playing against varsity teams …. just saying

I think all the Queens fans know that this win is what it is. There’s a reason why they make you play all the games, even the ones that should be no contest. You still have to actually win.

Good to get a win, but I don’t hear anyone making Superbowl reservations.

NFC north was not looking great after Week 1. Packers lose. Bears lose. We’ll see what Detroit has on offer. Vikes TBD as far as I’m concerned, as I said next week is the start of the real deal for the Vikes.

Grouse

Grouse

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

Vikes TBD as far as I’m concerned, as I said next week is the start of the real deal for the Vikes.

I disagree with you, this team did not win on the road in 2013. You can say what you want about the Rams after the fact, before the game, they were supposed to have a great defense. We knew they were down to their backup QB, but a win on the road for a team that went 5-10-1 is the beginning….

Next week we’ll play a top notch QB (followed by Brees, Ryan, and Rodgers) so that will be another challenge. Nobody knew the Rams were going to lay an egg …

Just saying……

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

VIKES WIN pack looses PERFECT.! Now on to next week. . rrr

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

Cougareye says the same things about the queens every year. It’s like a broken record. Over and over and over again. So optimistic, but halfway through the season his heart gets broken. Enjoy your win. There will be some, but there won’t be many.

Just laughing…

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Did you guys see the Rice knock out punch today. Wow! Nice to see the team and NFL act appropriately…finally…..

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Don’t matter. Hawks are repeating, not just this year but years to come.

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

So optimistic, but halfway through the season his heart gets broken. Enjoy your win. There will be some, but there won’t be many.

I’m optimistic they’ll be better than last year, I had them 8-8 b4 the Rams game and was counting the Rams as a loss. So 9-7?

Lions looked good last night. I think they’ll win the North as they have good offense and now defense.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Did you guys see the Rice knock out punch today. Wow! Nice to see the team and NFL act appropriately…finally…..

Well, the “finally” part being the operative word.

I don’t believe for a second that the league office didn’t have a copy of that video. If freaking TMZ gossip site bought it, then the league either had it or could have gotten it.

It’s obvious what happened here. The league thought they could issues a cursory suspension and that would take care of it, just like the old days. I can just hear the hushed conversations in the league office, “She probably had it coming…” Swept under the rug, never to emerge again.

Of course, the league is run by a bunch of 60-something year old guys who still believe you can keep things quiet these days.

So what a coincidence. The video hits the net and the league suddenly issues a much harsher penalty. Could almost make you believe the two happenings were coordinated, like the league approved the video’s release so the public could see the justification for this new suspension they just issued.

Nice PR move, too bad nobody believes it.

Grouse

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

I believe Goodell had the video just before he put out the new policy on domestic violence. In his letter to owners, he admitted getting the penalty for Rice wrong. The current CBA did not allow for him to punish Rice twice for same offense.

My guess is the NFL leaked the video, creating a public outcry and ‘allowing’ the team and league to up the punishment.

I’ll bet my last dime, Rice’s attorneys will one day fight this and the CBA rule against double punishment will be their basis for the case.

Just an ugly deal all the way around.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

For those bashing the NFL, you do realize he is in a union. coffee x

I’ll take it in anither direction. I bet the NFL came to the conclusion 2 games was the best they could do without inviting hearings and litigation.

Andy Fiolka
    Boise, Idaho

Sorry fellas, I can’t stand NFL football.

My game is played on Saturdays (ok, ok, Thursdays/Fridays too). The passion, the pageantry, and the history make college ball much more enjoyable for me.

College Gameday is back in Fargo this week. How uniquely awesome is that? Back to back years…

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.