What are the deer doing

• kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

What’s everyone seeing out there? My deer have went heavily nocturnal per the pics. The good news, they are still there. Any response to rattling yet? IT’S GO TIME!!

abster71
    crawford county WI

Haven’t heard much do to I’m back to work for 7day stretch then fishing trip to red wing hope to be in the stand on the 31st. last time out 27th evening 2 1/2 buck grunting and chasing at dark first time I heard a growl. Very cool!!!!!!!!! 28th morning hunt bucks grunting and chasing as well but 1 1/2’s. Seeing a lot of fresh sign as well. Things should pop soon this warm front may slow things down a bit. I have 12 days off after I’m back from fishing should be prime all day hunts with the full moon coming on the 6th. Good luck all!!

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

The bucks have had their noses in the air and on the ground here for about two weeks, maybe a little more, it hasen’t been hot and heavy but thats not far off. Haven’t seen very many does at all the last few weeks, their avoiding the persistent and annoying chasing by the bucks plus we had a good acorn crop so alot of the deer have been in the woods eating them. Everythings on time here with a couple light frosts. My boy set up his ground blind yesterday and the trails have alot of movement on them but no scrapes yet around that timber in the pasture. Did see a maybe starting of a scrape a couple weeks ago while hunting mushrooms but wasn’t shure if it was turkeys hunting for food. Things are getting closer, it will be more intense 3 weeks from now.

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

They’re DYING!!! -)
    Sorry, couldn’t help myself! Been bow hunting 3 years now, first buck in my buck only zone came this week. No trophy, but meat in the freezer!

Attachments:
    1. 6pt.jpg

kooty
    Keymaster

Great job!!!!!

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Our U.P. herd is dramatically down with numbers of wolves, coyotes, bear and Bobcats extremely high… Guys are seeing very few bucks (or deer) on trail cams and they have been nocturnal for the most part.

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

They’re DYING!!! -)
    Sorry, couldn’t help myself! Been bow hunting 3 years now, first buck in my buck only zone came this week. No trophy, but meat in the freezer!

CONGRATS.!! You will always remember the !st One. rrr

Ben Brettingen
    Mississippi

A lot of the big boys are nocturnal still but have seen a number of 3.5 to 4.5 YO deer on the hoof. A few 3.5 YO are chasing the most from 8 to 1030am and again around the noon hour. The evening hasn’t been as good but still seeing a little chasing.

Nic Barker
    Central WI-Northern IL

I was back home in Northern IL this weekend and didn’t see a lot of deer movement, but on Saturday night did spot two bucks out cruising, a small basket 6or8 and a monster of a buck I almost stopped the truck to go back and gawk at, but both of these were late night movements. With all the fields in my area being picked this weekend deer will definitely be more visible, but I guess it doesn’t matter since I hunt Wi.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Only seen young deer this weekend, but they were very active. Watched two bucks tustle a little saturday morning.

kooty
    Keymaster

Passed a car this AM that had just smucked a deer.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

By my place they’ve been standing in the middle of the road and getting nailed by cars. Dammit! 8 point buck laying dead in the ditch down my 2 mile long gravel road that gets traveled by 10 cars a day including the mailman. What are the chances? Another moron driving around watching his hood ornament.

So there’s one less buck available in an already sparse year.

Nothing but night pics in the oak trees on my trail cams. Just pulled pics off cams on Saturday and the only buck pics were in the oak trees at zero dark thirty.

Grouse

deertracker

Deer are definetly on the move. At work we have had or I have heard on the radio from other areas lots of car killed deer. Im working mornings and start at five. There have been some before first light but also numerous after first light and into the morning.
    DT

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Their getting hit here too Deertracker, took a 100 mile drive the other day going east and seen a couple roadkills but not alot yet. During prime chasing I’d could have seen 3 to 6 fresh kills and that time is just around the corner.

Pretty sure theres atleast one to two county guys that travel the county roads daily that work for the highway commission picking up roadkills. Alot of the ones that end up in the ditch and can’t go any further are left there, just the ones laying on the side of the road are picked up. I’ve picked up a couple roadkills myself for the freezer so if anyone wants fresh meat for the freezer just get in contact with the local police or sheriffs dept. because they carry salvage tags and most will put you on a list and call to come get them, saves the county money so they don’t have to pay to have them removed. During certain times when their really running, like on a crisp clear night and also days with no wind when alot get hit, the deer lay there for a few days.

I talked to a guy at the local dump once and asked if they ever brought deer to the dump because I thought they have a separate place where they disposed of them, he said sometimes they bring in whole dump truck loads, he said some are in pretty bad shape and they cover them immediately.

Jeff Iverson

Like a lot of guys are seeing. Mature bucks a very nocturnal where I hunt in SE MN, KS. The little bucks have really been harassing the does and my doe sitings on sits have dropped off the last week or so. I expect that to happen late October each year. It usually sets up what I look forward to every year. “The first week in November! and all day sits.”

I can only hunt the evening of Halloween and the first 5 days this year to conserve a few vacation days for IA and KS. But I think they should be hot. As a salesman I travel by around the Midwest in my pickup and this week the activity I’ve seen with the timing and the cooler weather is definitely kicked up a notch.

Good luck everyone!

Protourbaits1

I sat this morning to see if i could’ve called in a shooter. I had 2-3 deer around me before shooting time. One was a decent buck, but i couldn’t tell how big, and he disappeared ( I was able to rattle in a doe and she ended up right under my stand. At 9:30am, I had two 1.5 y/o and a nice 2.5 y/o that i call “blade” come trotting alongside the draw. I saw this deer several times opening week, and he was with “Sebastian” when i shot him. It was a great morning, but no mature bucks were seen.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.