Walleye are THICK on Pool 4!~

• In-Depth Webstaff
    Keymaster

The proof’s in the pudding. Or in this case, the underwater video. This short is a sneak peak at Sunday’s In-Depth Outdoors episode on 3/10. Tune in Sunday to see how to catch ’em!

Published on Mar 8, 2013

Filmed late February 2013 by In-Depth Outdoors’ film crew while shooting a walleye show scheduled to air March 10, 2013 on FSN @ 8 AM. Depths were 9′ – 14′ feet. Huge numbers of walleye are already staged below the dam at Red Wing, MN in advance of the spring spawn.

slab-hunter
    Participant
    Red Wing, MN

That’s it! The boat’s coming out early this year, I got the itch so bad, I’ll need ointment!
    Donnie

smokinbobo
    Participant
    Monticello / Guthrie, MN

Not a river guy…. Are those red finned guys carp?

river rat randy
    Participant
    Hager City WI

Quote:

No. They are redhorse suckers…rrr

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Red Horse Sucker Smoken.

Someone must have seen this video ahead of time by the looks of the parking lot at Everts.

chirp
    Participant
    Rochester

Ok thanks now I have an itch too. Might have to find an empty seat soon.

tbrooks11
    Participant

Man, that very last eye to the right looked like a tank. Cant wait to get up there!!

85lund
    Participant
    Menomonie, WI

We were one of the few other boats out that day. The snow kept most boats in the garage. The fish down there in that video were hungry too Looking forward to seeing the full show

wade_kuehl
    Participant
    Northwest Iowa

Making the trek to Red Wing soon. Gotta pick up the new rig from Dean and Eric at Skeeter Boat Center!

timschmitz
    Participant
    Waconia MN

Quote:

Heading down tomorrow. You’re welcome to join.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

I will be rolling in to evert’s around noon Sunday for my annual 7 day stay. Can’t wait.

mar-80
    Participant
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I’ll be over tomorrow morning. Hope they are still snapping. Looks like it’s going to be a wet day.

85lund
    Participant
    Menomonie, WI

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks for the offer Tim I’ll be bringing the boat down if the roads aren’t too bad

joe_the_fisher
    Participant
    Wisconsin Dells WI

cool video! cant wait to get on the river!

bclii
    Participant
    MN/AZ

Quote:

Quote:

No. They are redhorse suckers…rrr

Yep, their the best pickled and in the jar!

timschmitz
    Participant
    Waconia MN

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks for the offer Tim I’ll be bringing the boat down if the roads aren’t too bad

Lol! I’ll be the guy in the green 16′ Lowe with a 25hp Yamaha. Swing by and say hi.

chirp
    Participant
    Rochester

Tim, thanks for the offer. Have to take a raincheck this weekend. Son coming home from college. Maybe another time. Thanks again.

mossydan
    Participant
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

GOOD GAWD, now its a Red horse smokin pickler run, Come to think about it that ain’t a bad idea.

ToddOlufson
    Participant
    Coon Rapids, MN

It’s been over 20 years since I’ve been to Red Wing. Fishing below L&D 3 and always referred that to pool 3, Pigs Eye as pool 2. When does it change from pool 3 to pool 4? No wonder I can never find anybody, LOL

Eric Rehberg
    Participant
    Eau Claire, WI

Quote:

We were one of the few other boats out that day. The snow kept most boats in the garage. The fish down there in that video were hungry too Looking forward to seeing the full show

I have to say it was a rare day on the river. We had the river to ourselfs from 7am til somewhere around 2pm. The fish were plenty hungry as you will see on sunday. Was a great time with an old buddy back on the river!!

wade_kuehl
    Participant
    Northwest Iowa

Quote:

It’s been over 20 years since I’ve been to Red Wing. Fishing below L&D 3 and always referred that to pool 3, Pigs Eye as pool 2. When does it change from pool 3 to pool 4? No wonder I can never find anybody, LOL

Pool 3 is above the dam, pool 4 is below it.

castle-rock-clown
    Participant

I picked up my “new to me” Tuffy 1760 from SBC on Friday with the intent to hit pool 4 before my ride back to Milwaukee. The night before and into the morning I caught a bug that was fast and furious. Let’s just say coming out both ends at the same time. I still mustered the drive to at least pick up the boat as planned, but no fishing this trip. Seeing the vidio just rubbs a little more salt in the wound. But alas I will be hitting some other hotspots closer to home very soon.

Paul Heise
    Participant
    River Falls, Wi

Quote:

Quote:

I have to say it was a rare day on the river. We had the river to ourselfs from 7am til somewhere around 2pm. The fish were plenty hungry as you will see on sunday. Was a great time with an old buddy back on the river!!

Sure I was thinkin of getting the rig out for next weekend. After that show airs I think the bumper boat barrage will start! Oh well, won’t be any different than any other year! 100% of the fish can’t all be in that 1% of the water. I like to go fish the quiet spots myself. Thats why I get up early and fish the dam before the sun hits the horizon and move on pre-bumper boat time! Just think I had plenty of these CPR’d by this time a year ago!!
    26.5″

Darn snow and rain has prolonged getting the boat out!

stratos_375
    Participant
    Southern Wisconsin

Getting my boat out on Tuesday!!! Can’t wait to be on the water again and the video just makes it that much harder!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

For those that missed it on TV, here’s the show from today.

Steve Vick
    Participant
    New London, MN

Too bad the bite was off that day! Good grief! Don’t you guys feel guilty hoarding pool 4 all to yourselves? Nice show!

fireline
    Participant
    Rochester

What were the fish with the red fins ?

chirp
    Participant
    Rochester

James, how heavy a jig were you using? Nice show by the way. Going to try this one out soon.

hosejr
    Participant

What are they called red horse?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.