Walleye Help

• Frenchman
    Participant
    West Central Indiana

I am going to target some elusive Northern Indiana Walleye this year and want to make sure I start off on the right foot. I currently have a Precision Noodle -2, Quick Tip, and Precision (All rods are TUCR and 32″) The noodle has 2# Vicious, QT has 3# Vicious and Precision has 4# Vicious. I generally fish for Pan fish with jigs, spoons and small lip-less.

For walleye I just plan on using larger lip-less cranks, spoons, and jigging raps probably around the 5/16 to 3/8 range. QT for lighter weight and Precision for heavier. The Noodle -2 would be used as a dead stick (if I decided to use one). In Northern Indiana you have a better chance of catching a 37″ Pike then you do a 22″ Walleye in the lakes so trophy is not an issue put Pike can be. Fishing will generally be 20 FOW or less.

What line recommendations would you suggest in these applications? Also, how would you set up the business end of the Dead Stick?

Thanks!
    Paul

Ben Putnam
    Participant
    Saint Paul, MN

10lb braid, swivel, 2-3 feet of 8lb fluoro. Plain hook (#6 or #8) and split for the dead stick… adjust the split closer to the hook if they are inactive, bring it further away if they are active.

Frenchman
    Participant
    West Central Indiana

Thanks for the reply Ben. I think a dead stick+/_ the I Fish Pro will provide some bonus fish. Anyone else have input on line regarding these set ups?

patk
    Participant
    Nisswa, MN

10lb braid, swivel, 2-3 feet of 8lb fluoro. Plain hook (#6 or #8) and split for the dead stickā€¦ adjust the split closer to the hook if they are inactive, bring it further away if they are active.

X2 on Ben’s comments. Sometimes I use a demon jig beneath my bobber or deadstick to pin the minnow.

Line recommendations, 3lb for pannies, 4lb as a good all arounder, maybe 5-6 or even 8 if you’re hitting heavy lures with really agressive fish. You can land some pretty big fish with 4-5lb line with the drag set right and a bit of patience. Brand, I’m a big pline fan but other mono choices have worked too.

Here’s a thought on lure choices. Larger sizes may not always be better. Don’t be afraid to come down to 1/8 oz spoons as the go to size for Walleye. Maybe a little larger or a little less depending on conditions.

That said, if your Indiana walleye are super agressive, good for you guys!

bigdaddyg
    Participant
    north central indiana

most likely fish the same waters as you its always a hit or miss. with no nat. walleye lakes all I can tell you is drill fish, drill fish, drill fish, you see the pattern here, and hook up with a good walleye guy there are eight or ten of the best sticks any were right here in Indiana. GRIFF.

Ben Brettingen
    Mississippi

I’d probably go with 6/8lb mono or the Sufix invisiLine Ice Fluorocarbon in 6 or 8. The fluorocarbon is surprisingly soft. The issue I have with using braid for ice applications is the line freezing up. Unless it’s on the plus side of 32 degrees or if I’m inside a shack, I will opt against braid.

Frenchman
    Participant
    West Central Indiana

Thanks for the responses. I bounce around a lot and like I stated generally do not fish terribly deep waters. Sounds like 4-6# will be the way to go for the jigging rods. Now I just need to find some of those walleye guys that BigDaddyG was talking about.

Paul

hillbilly910
    Participant

any input for a not so northern deep indiana resivior?
    struggled all last year and drew a blank.
    did dial into the channel cats and white bass like it was my job

Frenchman
    Participant
    West Central Indiana

Are you talking Summit?

hillbilly910
    Participant

farther south, lots more walleyes

Frenchman
    Participant
    West Central Indiana

Well if it every freezes let me know! I don’t have a boat so hard water is my number 1 priority.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.