Vex FL-8 drowned: repair/replace options?

• reverend
    Participant
    Rhinelander, WI

My fault, but the Vex took an overnight soak in a rain-filled tote this summer and its toast. I dried it out, disassembled it and found one of the electrical doohickeys(that’s a technical term) fried. Can I get repairs done reasonably, or am I shopping for a new flasher at this point? Would love to shop new and get the Vex vs. Marcum fight started, but budget is a serious concern…advice? Could once, but can’t fathom ice fishing without one.

BTW-Been away for awhile, really liking the new web design. Good job guys!

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

I’d say even if you’re able to fix if it got soaked at sat for a while there may be more wrong with it that just one doohickey. Since budget is an issue start looking on CL, with everyone looking to move up to the newest digital units you should be able to find a pretty fair price on a Marcum VX-1 or another FL-8.

I did a quick search here in the twin cities metro and found a few of each for $150. You might also be able to find a new VX-1 at the St Paul ice fishing show for as low as $250.

Will

monticatgeek
    Participant
    Monticello, MN

send it into Vexilar. they will look at it and give you a quote to recondition it. if the cost is not worth fixing then check out their reconditioned units they sell on their site. you can get a FL-18 Genz Pack for $349.00 off the site and upgrade from the Fl 8 in the process. they do come with the regular warranty of a new unit so you are covered if something goes bad(which it shouldn’t).

tgruenke
    Participant
    IGH, MN/Holcombe, WI

I have a Marcum VX-1 Pro my dad has a FL8- Both are good units. I like to bottom zoom fromthe vx-1 though. If you fish walleyes or fish near the bottom it is great.

reverend
    Participant
    Rhinelander, WI

Thanks everyone for your input! You know, I really shouldn’t complain-it’s an older Vex that I picked up in a trade for other stuff and it’s been awful good to me. Very few products have made such a huge impact on my success and/or comfort and convenience that they leave me impressed enough to wonder how I got by without them, but flashers for ice fishing have been one of the biggest. I’m going to miss the old one though, I got a lot of time on the ice and a lot of hard use out of it…I’d kind of gotten to thinking it was bulletproof.

reverend
    Participant
    Rhinelander, WI

So…replacements: We’re talking entry level here, budget is a serious issue these days, even at Craigslist prices. Best bang for my buck? Most of my lakes tend towards shallower, walleye and panfish, 15′-25′ is generally pretty deep in the lakes I fish, quite often closer to 15′ or less; also often weeds.
    Preferences to be looking for?

norge
    Participant

In your position I would vote for the Marcum Ice Troller 2.0. They are incredibly versatile and cheap. It’s a unit you will still want to keep when you decide to upgrade in the future. Some deals on Craigslist from time to time but they are ver reasonable new.

reverend
    Participant
    Rhinelander, WI

UPDATE: After much browsing, kid’s Christmas won out over new electronics for Dad.
    Called Vexilar, after a few rings was greeted by a REAL LIVE PERSON and quickly transferred to a REAL LIVE PERSON in service dept-both of whom were real friendly and helpful. They made it easy, so now Vex is now in their care awaiting a diagnosis. I know Marcum is a big deal on this site, and I’m sure I’d run across the same with them-I just wanted to comment on how impressed I am with so far with the way I’m being treated…You know, like a real person who matters. Seems so rare these days, it’s only fair to point it out when good old fashioned service actually comes into play. Barring some catastrophe, I think Vexilar just impressed the heck out of this cynical grump. Kudos!
    (and thanks for the tip Monticatgeek!) -)

patk
    Participant
    Nisswa, MN

I had issues a while back that needed help from Vex’s customer service. Good news, I was equally impressed with the help I received. One issue was my fault and they diagnosed it via emails. Second issue was warranty and got taken care of quickly with no hassle at all.

Yep, this is a big Marcum site and for good reason. That said, there’s nothing wrong with Vexilar or their customer service. It’s a good thing when the debate is between awesome customer service depts which one is better? Much better than the airlines, who sucks the least? flame

Glad to hear that support is still top notch.

Chuck Melcher
    Participant
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

It’s a good thing when the debate is between awesome customer service depts which one is better?

My thought exactly…. never worked with Marcum, but have touched base with Vexilar a couple times over the years, and always had great service. Good luck with your repairs.

puddlepounder
    Participant
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

vexilar has rebuilt my fl-8…..twice. the price was very reasionable both times. i found out that a fl-8 can not survive in a otter that is upside down at 60mph behind my snowmobile. it only took the two times before i learnd to put the fl-8 in a 5gal pail with old bath towels on top and bottom and a lid, haven’t had and problems since.

Travis Swanson
    Participant

Agree that their customer service is second to none….Marcum is good too as my buddy will tell you. When you get it back check CL and Ebay for parts. As for the airlines, as a guy who flies a lot for his job, I would sell every United employee who is not a pilot for Vexilar’s staff

reverend
    Participant
    Rhinelander, WI

Not an hour after posting my last rave, I received a call from “Dan” at Vexilar service department informing my that my Vex was back up and running with all toasted doohickies replaced, and that they could get it back in the mail yet that day!
    Seriously-I put the thing in the mail Friday afternoon, and they were calling me on Monday afternoon letting me know it’s on it’s way home! Very friendly, VERY reasonable repair, EXCELLENT SERVICE, unbelievable turn-around time. To say I’m impressed is a complete understatement. It’s been so long since I received this kind of service, it really kind of blew my mind…all I can say is THANK YOU VEXILAR!
    Someday, when the in/out flow of $$ in my household achieve some sort of harmony I fully intend to take a serious look at Marcum too…but I have to admit that this kind of treatment can make me seriously reluctant to change.
    BONUS: After arriving home, I FINALLY found my thought-lost GPS, trusted keeper of years worth of random rock bars, mid-lake humps and isolated weedbeds. WEEK MADE! -)
    There’s walkable ice on at least most of my local lakes…the season is on, and I’ll post something just as soon as I can get a hole made to drop a line through. Thanks again IDO, you guys on here are always the best!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.