upland retriever training books

• Jon Stevens
    Participant
    Northfield, Wi

This being my pups first year in the woods I’m not expecting an over achiever. But I am expecting a little more progression than we are at right now. We have been training for a full year now and she has made improvments. But at this point, I still feel she is still behind the average. I’m really frustrated and looking for some good books to help me out. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

I can say that its not all about training. Like people, every animal has a different personality and different potential. From ditch diggers to doctors.
    You cant change that and its exhausting to try. Maybe your dog needs experience more than anything else? My current pup just turned 3. She has taken sooo long to mature and amount to anything. I was at wits end year 1. Then year 2 a switch flipped. And now year 3 she has improved dramatically again to the minimum potential I was hoping for in a part time hunting dog.

I don’t know if you are referring to your dogs hunting ability or discipline?
    I have Wolters books though they are very old and some may say outdated. Those are where I got the basics years ago then went from there.

sktrwx2200
    Participant

Go out and get the book Tom Dokken retriever training… It is really good. Game me some new skills and drills to get my dog on track. Its a really good tool.

brad-o
    Participant
    Mankato

Congrats!!! You have a puppy. Remember you choose the puppy path instead of a finished or started dog. The first year make sure pup knows how to quarter, and stops when told. (You cannot hunt a dog that flushes that won’t stop). Now get that dog on birds. When pup finds a bird reward pup like you never have before!!! He will figure it out fast then. You don’t teach a dog to hunt you can only rain them in. As for books any about flushing dogs urban gun dog is a good one.

Jon Stevens
    Participant
    Northfield, Wi

I know she is lacking maturity. And maybe that’s what I need to remind myself. But she doesn’t seem to have the drive I’m looking for. Even on birds she only wants to hunt for a short time before she is ready to head for the truck. I think I’m going to ease off her a bit and let her decide exactly how hard I should be pushing her. When she isn’t having fun anymore I need to tell myself to stop and start again another day.

Thanks for the suggestions so far on books. I have one of Wolter’s books tucked away somewhere. I will take a look at Dokken’s books and urban gun dog as well.

cougareye
    Participant
    Hudson, WI

Don’t push the dog too hard this year. I’ve seen them rebound in years to come after seeing young dogs not want to be in field or even gun shy.

I used Wolters books, everything except the ear pinching. One thing he says is that if a dog starts losing interest, it is game over go home for the day. The dog will learn quick not to get off task if you pack up and head home. That’s hard if you’ve driven any distance to hunt, but that’s what it has to be this year. Think long term!!!

Good luck!

Francis K
    Participant
    Champlin, MN

I know you mentioned books, but even after reading I was never sure if I was doing the right thing.

The best thing I ever did was joining a retreiver club here in the metro. During the warm months you can practice each week with the club members who have lots of experience and the club owns a lot of equipment used for training.

Maybe check out Land of Lakes Hunting Retreiver Club.

http://llhrc.org/about.html

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.