Two Helix Units One Transducer…

• mnfish
    Lake Elmo MN

I have a Helix 12 and a Helix 9 on my console…the 12 to do side and down imaging and the 9 to do mapping…what do I need to have to have both units work off one transducer? I tried just hooking up only power to the 9 but it just goes into simulation made. And I would like to use the 9 without the 12 sometimes as I would use the 12 on another boat at the same time my son is using the main boat. I also hae a Helix 10 on the front that I wan to network into the mix.

I’m also installing a 360 transducer on the trolling motor

I’m guessing I’ll need the:
    1 – AS ETH 5PXG (5 port connector)
    3 – AS EC QDE (adapter from unit to ethernet cable)
    2 – AS EC 2E (2 foot ethernet cable …the 5 port connector under the console so no need for longer than 2′ cable)
    1 – AS EC 15E (15′ ethernet cable to go from front unit to console)

What else do i need?

munchy
    NULL

Never mind…. doah

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Connecting 3 or more bird does require the network module as well as the cords to do to and fro

djshannon
    Crosslake

You seem to have all the right parts. From your description it appears that you are going to have to have a transducer connected to at least your 9 & 12. Once you have the network set up you can select the transducer source for each unit.

Here is a share chart link from humminbird:
    http://www.humminbird.com/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=10463

You will probably have to turn off transducer scanning on some of you your units to to reduce interference.

eyekatcher
    Lakeville, MN

if you have a Minnkota with link, you might want to cable that in as well.

mnfish
    Lake Elmo MN

I don’t have a Minnkota that has that. But I do have a question with mapping. I temporarily hooked my 9 and 10 together. How do I share the Lakemaster plus card with the 10? I have it in the 9 now. I went to the gps sharing and put it in helix 9 but I don’t see the same map as I see on the 9?

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

I don’t have a Minnkota that has that. But I do have a question with mapping. I temporarily hooked my 9 and 10 together. How do I share the Lakemaster plus card with the 10? I have it in the 9 now. I went to the gps sharing and put it in helix 9 but I don’t see the same map as I see on the 9?

Cannot share map cards with Humminbird units. Have to buy separate chips for each unit.

mnfish
    Lake Elmo MN

They get you coming and going! I’ll have as much in the accessories as I do one of the units!!

I’m finding out I’m not too keen on the set up of these hummingbirds. The main pages can’t display the same thing on each. And they don’t show voltage other than an alarm.

Tanner Ratcliff

I have recently purchased the Helix 9 with MEGA DI SI CHIRP.I also have the mind kota ulterra with i pilot link. While installing I’ve noticed that i can not have the trolling motor transducer hooked up to the helix at the same time i have the transducer that came with the helix connected (mounted on the stern). Do i need to buy another part or is that just an inconvenience? I bought the $30 dollar cable needed to connect the trolling motor transducer to the helix, it just so happens that it connects to the same port the helix transducer does too. Please help!

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

They get you coming and going! I’ll have as much in the accessories as I do one of the units!!

I’m finding out I’m not too keen on the set up of these hummingbirds. The main pages can’t display the same thing on each. And they don’t show voltage other than an alarm.

If you try to change your readouts and they don’t change, that means you have your readouts set to “overlay” rather than the other option, which I think is boxes.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I have recently purchased the Helix 9 with MEGA DI SI CHIRP.I also have the mind kota ulterra with i pilot link. While installing I’ve noticed that i can not have the trolling motor transducer hooked up to the helix at the same time i have the transducer that came with the helix connected (mounted on the stern). Do i need to buy another part or is that just an inconvenience? I bought the $30 dollar cable needed to connect the trolling motor transducer to the helix, it just so happens that it connects to the same port the helix transducer does too. Please help!

Splitter required.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

User Mode:Advanced. Choose boxes for your read outs and change any readout to show voltage.

mnfish
    Lake Elmo MN

I see that now! Didn’t know that’s what that meant! )

Now I just have to learn how to read it all. Especially the 360. Almost need to hire someone to explain it to me

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Fish
    Fish on bottom in current

Attachments:
    1. IMG_5402.jpg

2. IMG_5432.jpg

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Under a bridge and fish on beds

Attachments:
    1. IMG_5355.jpg

2. IMG_5352.jpg

mnfish
    Lake Elmo MN

Those are great shots!! I’m sure I just need more time on the water. Also like to find a school or suspended fish with the 360 to see what that will look like. And then to catch them! ;)

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

It won’t take long and you’ll realize finding the fish is the easy part. Identifying then a little harder, and catching them a challenge.

BBC boards is a great learning site
    The manual is also packed with need to know information should you choose to utilize those two and more your learning curve will accelerate exponentially.

I spend many many hours online years back when I got my first si

furthernorth

You can share maps with the Solix units. Helix units do not have that option.

You might be able to share with the old Onix units as well…not sure.

furthernorth

Make sure you are set to “Boxes” instead of overlay, then you can select voltage to be one of your readouts. I have both of mine set that way.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

If the 9 is only used for mapping you have no need to hook it up to the transducer. I used my Helix for GPS only purposes while on somebody elses boat, without a transducer, earlier this week. The simulation mode will automatically pop up once turned on, but if you follow the prompts on the startup screen you can go to your “normal” view rather than the simulation mode the Helix assumes you want to do

furthernorth

If the 9 is only used for mapping you have no need to hook it up to the transducer.

The way the OP has described his set up (he wants to be able to move the Helix 12 to another boat occasionally) he will need to hook the transducer to the Helix 9, and access from the network with the Heilx 12.

Short of doing a bunch of on-the-spot re-wiring when he wants to move the Helix 12, that would be the only way to make the system work as described.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

what do I need to have to have both units work off one transducer?

I was mainly attempting to answer this question. My bad. Only owned my Helix for a few months so this all well above my head. I made a post a few weeks back about trying to figure out how to make my Helix a little more portable.. didn’t get much help. mnfish, if you figure it out, please let us all know!

mnfish
    Lake Elmo MN

So I finally got all to kind of work. I ended up putting the 9 to the bow and the 10 to the console next to the 12. I can read depth on the 10 but it’s the bow transducer? It won’t read off the rear transducer? I have the rear transducer hooked up to the Ethernet switch along with the bow 360..9 ..10 and 12. That’s all ports it has room for. When I go to network set up on the 10 it only gives me the option to use the 9 (bow transducer)? It won’t show the 12? And why does it show the 9?

mnfish
    Lake Elmo MN

So I finally got all to kind of work. I ended up putting the 9 to the bow and the 10 to the console next to the 12. I can read depth on the 10 but it’s the bow transducer? It won’t read off the rear transducer? I have the rear transducer hooked up to the Ethernet switch along with the bow 360..9 ..10 and 12. That’s all ports it has room for. When I go to network set up on the 10 it only gives me the option to use the 9 (bow transducer)? It won’t show the 12? And why does it show the 9?

Still having the same issue. Why can’t I get the networking to read the transducer from the 12 on the 10? It doesn’t give me the option to select it? But I can select mapping from all 3?

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

mnfish, if you had the 9 just hooked up to power, you could hit the menu button while it is attempting to boot. A screen will pop up asking you what mode you want. If you select “Normal”, you will have GPS but no sonar.

mnfish
    Lake Elmo MN

mnfish, if you had the 9 just hooked up to power, you could hit the menu button while it is attempting to boot. A screen will pop up asking you what mode you want. If you select “Normal”, you will have GPS but no sonar.

But why will it let me use the 9 transducer off the bow to see depth and not the 12 on the console? When the trolling motor is up I won’t fat a depth reading on the 10.

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

what generation are all your units

mnfish
    Lake Elmo MN

1st gen. Not mega

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

Run the rear transducer to the 12 or 10 not the Ethernet switch.

mnfish
    Lake Elmo MN

Run the rear transducer to the 12 or 10 not the Ethernet switch.

So I found out that you can not network a Chirp unit (my Helix 12 is a Chirp) with a non Chirp unit for depth. It will network anything else but not the depth. I moved the 12 to the bow and I could use both the bow and the rear transducers. But with the 10 and the 9 I could only use the rear transducer and not the bow one connected to the 12. You’d think with $4000 worth of the same electronics they could all network?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.