TUCR Deadstick Review

• ps0345
    Participant

I got a hold of one of these last year and I promised John I would do a review. I got 32” in Jan of last year, fished LOTW, and Metro lakes with it. I really wanted a rod I could use as a deadstick and not have to worry about the size of fish I was targeting. I usually put a decent shiner or med sucker on my previous “deadstick” with a bobber. With this rod, I absolutely do not use a bobber. The tip is very sensitive and the backbone is amazing. I had it set up at LOTW next to my buddy who had never ice fished before in his life. He ended wanting to fish with it because whenever he saw his bobber go down on his deadstick he would try and set the hook, he would miss almost every time. But I had to tell him you have to make sure that bobber is down not just moving etc etc. But whenever he would see the tip move ever so slightly on the TUCR Deadstick he had a perfect hook set every time. I tried to explain to him and everyone else that surface tension from the bobber does have an effect on finicky fish. Of course no one believed me so I decided to show them. So I started to do some testing. I put my camera down next to his original deadstick with bobber. And almost every time a fish would go for the bait they would suck it in for a split second then spit it out. I watched this a hand full of times. Then I moved the camera next to my TUCR Deadstick and every time the fish would suck in the bait, sit a little longer which allowed a nice hook set. I was looking for my SD card with video but I can’t find it to back up my claims. Now there are many variables. 1. He was using a large bobber on the original setup 2. He was inexperienced angler. 3. Different fish. But I love using this when I have a large sucker on when I’m going for northern that are passing through. The strength on this thing is awesome for brining in decent pike. So I highly recommend this rod for anyone who does a lot of deadsticking. The plus side is you don’t need to put a bobber stop on and try and slide it up down braid or fusion line. But that’s just my .02 The rod is designed to be a true deadstick and it is.

patk
    Participant
    Nisswa, MN

Thank you very much for posting this!!!! I’ve been popping in to different forums and was even talking to one of the rod builders at Thorne on the subject. Some form of deadstick is going to be my christmas present to myself.

Technique question for hooksets: On a bobber you typically wait till the fish “has” it. Some days that might be when they hold it a couple inches down and some longer. In your example you had the new angler set the hook very quickly. Is that the recommended technique? If yes do you find missing some due to tentative fish? ex, walleye that don’t have it all the way in their mouth

2nd question – What’s been your experience if you can’t grab the rod right away? Say you’re 10 feet away hole hopping or just can’t get to it for whatever reason.

ps0345
    Participant

To answer your first question. I’d say it’s difficult to gauge. It all depends on how aggressive the fish are taking the bait. If they are coming up and slamming the bait and your bobber is on it way down fast, I tend to do a faster hook set. If the fish are lethargic and just give the bait a taste the bobber would move or slightly go down stall then come back up your hook set timing is going to be different. With the deadstick sensitive tip it allows me to see those lethargic fish “strike” or even bump the bait which allows me to prepare a little more and achieve a better hook set, with out having to worry about the bobber. if that makes sense.

answer to your second question, The rod holds up great. I’ve pulled in some decent pike on mine while the rod was unattended. of course the rod was in a holder and the drag was set.

patk
    Participant
    Nisswa, MN

Thanks again with the follow up! My bad on describing question one. I know the bobber behavior for different days. What I don’t know is the preference for both active and lethargic days using a deadstick regarding hooksets.

I’m at LOTW in a few weeks with some good buddies. Between bragging rights and the small gambling that goes on, I’m looking for every edge I can get. If they fish are hammering baits, good for us. If they are tentative or playing with the baits that’s where I’m looking to gain an edge. None of the four of us are rookies and one of the guys is a pretty good stick. I’m the only one who ever dabbles with true deadtsicks.

Two years ago we were up there and I tried out using a Jason Mitchell Meatstick as a deadstick. Conditions were not feeding frenzy if you know what I mean. After a half day I switched back to a bobber and had a higher percentage of success. I’m now thinking that when I see a fish taking my bait that I should set the hook either fast or get all tension off the line to give them a few more seconds to start swallowing.

Always learning smile

Frenchman
    Participant
    West Central Indiana

Is the tip sensitive enough to use on crappies and/or perch?

Crappy Fisherman
    Participant

Isn’t a neutral buoyancy float like the Venom Float more sensitive than a true dead stick?

Frenchman
    Participant
    West Central Indiana

How is the Tip of the TUCR Dead Stick neutral buoyancy?

Hoppsa
    Participant

sounds nice!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.