Today's Show

• Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

I just wanted to say well done to James, Pat, and Ben! I know there are many of us that have been waiting a while for the next season to start and for you guys to go out into that kind of weather so we can sit on our couch and watch a great show just shows how dedicated you are! Can’t wait to see next week’s show, hopefully it comes in the wake of calmer seas!

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

It definitely is great to see some new episodes. I have to compliment on the great camera work. Some really cool shots there to start off the show.

ec1
    NULL

The opening cinematography is absolutely beautiful, and as always – great show!

Andy Fiolka
    Boise, Idaho

Well done gentlemen. toast

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Great show guys. Seems like forever since the last episode from season 8.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I sure am glad you can watch these shows online… I was not going to miss my lil granddaughters 7th birthday party !!

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Another thumbs up on the camera work. Looks like I’ll need to add a few of those ripp’n raps to the ice box.

-J.

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

James, Would you elaborate some on your jigging rap setup. What is the optimum rod and line? Also, do you tie the lure on directly or use a snap?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

James, Would you elaborate some on your jigging rap setup. What is the optimum rod and line? Also, do you tie the lure on directly or use a snap?

I like to use my TUCR Precision for Red Lake sized eyes. If I’m fishing LOTW or Winnipeg I’ll step up to a beefier rod but for the 1.4 – 4 lb fish we typically see on Red the Precision seems to be about perfect. I typically use 6# Ice Magic but on this trip I tried some of the 5# Invisiline Ice Flouro and it worked well. I DO NOT like fishing Rippin Raps in shallow water with a braid as there’s no stretch in the line and as many that fish Red know you fight most of the fish on 5′ of line or less. When I’ve tried braid I’ve pulled too many fish loose immediately after the hookset. Mono or flouro seems to help with that by providing a little stretch.

As for the snap vs. no snap… on this trip I tied direct. On others I’ve used a snap. I can get a little bit different action out of the bait using one over the other (when I tie direct the bait rolls side to side more, using a snap it seems to rock front and back more) but I’ve yet to see the fish show much of a preference either way.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

The opening cinematography is absolutely beautiful, and as always – great show!

I’ve said it many times before, the cameramen and editors make us look a LOT better than we are. Every season they just keep getting better and better.

michaelcfi79
    Twin Cities, MN

Great show guys, way to start the season out with a bang. You know it’s cold when James is wearing a coat!

James, can you comment on tipping the jigging rap with part of a minnow? I believe it was mentioned you two tried that during mid-day?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Great show guys, way to start the season out with a bang. You know it’s cold when James is wearing a coat!

Very true. I hate wearing a jacket. For some reason every ice jacket I’ve ever worn kills my back and neck. I think it has something to do with the way I stare down at the flasher all day and the extra weight of the jacket or whatever is going on when I wear one has me aching by the end of the day.

James, can you comment on tipping the jigging rap with part of a minnow? I believe it was mentioned you two tried that during mid-day?

Both Pat and I switched to a Tingler spoon midday and tipped the spoons with minnow heads. I’m not saying you can’t tip a Rippin Rap with a minnow head and catch a fish but I’ve personally had ZERO success doing so. Adding the minnow head kills the action of the Rippin Rap while the minnow head is an obvious plus on the Tingler spoon.

michaelcfi79
    Twin Cities, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>michaelcfi79 wrote:</div>

Very true. I hate wearing a jacket. For some reason eveery ice jacket I’ve ever worn kills my back and neck. I think it has something to do with the way I stare down at the flasher all day and the extra weight of the jacket or whatever is going on when I wear one has me aching by the end of the day.

Or it could be the fact that you’re about 8 feet tall and no jacket fits you ;)

Andy Fiolka
    Boise, Idaho

That’s funny right there…

BDiss

I totally agree that this was a great show. I look forward to the show every week and am a little sadden when it’s not on. I guess that’s why there is YouTube.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Good show. That’s miserable weather. I’d of been in a house for sure!

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>michaelcfi79 wrote:</div>

Very true. I hate wearing a jacket. For some reason every ice jacket I’ve ever worn kills my back and neck. I think it has something to do with the way I stare down at the flasher all day and the extra weight of the jacket or whatever is going on when I wear one has me aching by the end of the day.

Both Pat and I switched to a Tingler spoon midday and tipped the spoons with minnow heads. I’m not saying you can’t tip a Rippin Rap with a minnow head and catch a fish but I’ve personally had ZERO success doing so. Adding the minnow head kills the action of the Rippin Rap while the minnow head is an obvious plus on the Tingler spoon.

James I have found that part of that neck problem comes with heavier coats and hoods, but also when it is colder I think a guy hunches his shoulders up more because of the cold. What seems to help me is either a turtle neck or a neck gaiter to keep the cold of a guys neck. Just my 2 cents.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.