To Noodle or not to Noodle

• tedroost
    Devils Lake

Alright this may have been debated before but finding a specific thread that relates is harder than the needle. I fish Devils Lake 90% of the time. I’m usually 20-50 ft when I’m perch fishing and 5-30 ft when walleye fishing. I use the smallest tungstens when nothing else works up to 5/16 spoons and the occacional 7/8 oz jigging rap. I am interested in getting two custom rods one for perch one for walleye. I planned for a 32″ so I could use it for outdoors and indoors (if it’s like last year it will be used for indoors only). For deep large perch is a noodle worth my time I know I like the feel technique but I’ve never used a noodle and have heard it can be a game changer? Watching IDO season 6 ep.3 I know I’m a feel guy but wondering if my fishing habits would warrant using a noodle. I never really get on large gills it is to much travel for having all the perch and walleye a guy would ever need in the backyard. So deep fishing for some of the way above average sized perch, beginning to the end walleye spectrum, and the occasional “I got a marlin” toothy critter. The TUCR qt, pn, a precision have caught my eye I know Johns on here a phone call is probably best but can be done here as well. The TB perch and walleye sweetheart and noodle are two others. The DH perch pounder as well. For some reason we can never really get a great ice show in North Dakota so I have never held a good custom to see what I would like.
    Sorry for the long post I have in line reel questions as well but I’ll wait.
    Thanks

Ben Brettingen
    Mississippi

It sounds like a quicktip and a precision would fit the bill!

The QT is a perfect rod for all around perch fishing in my opinion. You can fish small spoons and small tungsten and not feel mismatched.

Another rod to keep on the radar if you are more interested in a noodle than a qt would possibly be the new bullwhip from tucr. It combines the noodle tip with a stiffer backbone so it doesn’t get blown about in the wind when hole hopping. It has a great transition and looks to be a solid rod. I haven’t fished it myself but they say it would handle small spoons up to 1/8 oz.

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Based on your criteria and knowing that you like to feel bites I’d reccommend a Quicktip for tungsten jigs small spoons paired with the original precision for medium to larger spoons. I typically use my noodle for crappies or gills but usually go with my QT for perch.

Edit – I was typing my response at the same as BFB (Big fish Ben) or I guess I could have just said “Ditto”

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

Get a quiver stick from Thorne bros. That rod is the ultimate “feel” rod and fights fish with the whole rod not just the first 8″.

Joshua LaVelle
    Faribualt

I put a tripwire in my hand this last weekend at the show and it sure feels nice. They have one with a little stiffer backbone called the sniffer for perch and bigger panfish.. I am picking one up for perch may be something you want to look into. Call Thorne Bros. they are more than willing to help you out with any questions you have.. IMO

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

I put a tripwire in my hand this last weekend at the show and it sure feels nice. They have one with a little stiffer backbone called the sniffer for perch and bigger panfish.. I am picking one up for perch may be something you want to look into. Call Thorne Bros. they are more than willing to help you out with any questions you have.. IMO

Those tripwires are sick! I had Lonnie spin me up a couple for a perch trip to devils last winter. One with a medium wire for flyer spoons and the other with a medium light wire for smallish tungstens. For sure give him a call.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Here’s some ideas that may help reduce your confusion or just add to it.

Custom rods -Thorne or TUCR. Some here have their preference but both are top notch

How to choose: Thorne has a video series on their different rods that is good information. Doesn’t substitute talking to a rod builder or feedback from fellow fisherman. I was in Thorne a week back and talked to Jason about a custom idea I had. In the end my idea went down the tubes and we had a better plan.

Here’s an alternative to your question on noodle and one that works for me. Fishing Devil’s Lake regularly this comes from your neighborhood.
    Rod for heavier lures(1/4-1/2oz): Carbon rod with fast action(Thorne’s Walleye Sweetheart/TUCR equivalent)
    Rod for lighter lures(1/16-1/4oz: Carbon rod with a fast action(Thorne’s Perch Sweetheart/TUCR equivalent) I got this one and very versatile. Might still be a bit heavy for tiny jigs.
    3rd rod to save money and get a noodle type: Jason Mitchell Meatstick 28″

Personally I don’t run lures heavier than a 1/4oz. My three rod quiver would swap out the heavier carbon rod for a panfish weighted action. Some days fish seem to want the fast twitching of a carbon rod and some days the swimming action of a noodle type. That and seeing bites on the noodle can make life better. I also run my Meatstick as double duty as a walleye deadstick.

Sorry, I have no experience with the Tripwire series and will have to defer to others.

tswoboda

Get a quiver stick from Thorne bros. That rod is the ultimate “feel” rod and fights fish with the whole rod not just the first 8″.

X2… probably similar to a quicktip but I wouldn’t know.

I use 3 rods for perch in ND

TUCR Precision – 1/8 oz spoons
    TB Quiverstick – Small Spoons
    TUCR Noodle – Diamond jigs with plastic

They all have their place, but if I could only use one it’d be the Quiverstick. If I had to give one up it’d be the noodle.

tucrs
    NW Metro

Personally I would take these two rods to ND with me.

32″ Precision Split grip with a 500 Sedona with 4lb Suffix Clear

32″ Quicktip Split grip with a 500 Sedona with 3lb Suffix tangerine. (I really like the Tangerine)

Like others have said about the Precision you can fish just about anything and the QT is a really good Perch rod that can double for panfish.

For heavier that 1/4 I would go with a Power Precision though.

Feel free to contact me as well.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.