Tilt/Trim Help Please

• gonzo50613
    Participant
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Coming off the lake after a decent day of fishing out of Zippel Bay on LOTW Saturday when my tilt/trim quit working. When I press the buttons on the throttle lever or on the motor no sound is made and no movement of the outboard. Motor is a 1996 Johnson 115hp and boat is a 1999 Lund Pro Sport 1700. Any ideas on what to look for so I can track this down?

Thanks

Pete Bauer
    Participant
    Stillwater, MN

Check the relay under the hood.

Mudshark
    Participant
    LaCrosse WI

Yep…What Pete said…check the relays under the hood…

2 of them mounted side by side…1 up 1 down

Art Green
    Participant
    Brookfield,WI

Is it fuse protected?

gonzo50613
    Participant
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

I think you got it. When I take the cover off I can here the relays clicking when I press the trim buttons. I haven’t had a chance to replace them yet. Next question, what would make them both give out at once? Will replacing the relays solve my problem?

Thanks

mark-bruzek
    Participant
    Two Harbors, MN

They will click when they are working. Sometimes they even click when they are faulty… A relay is nothing more than and electric powered switch meaning the switch could be flipping (clicking) but if a pole or something else in the relay is bad it still won’t work.
    I’m guessing you don’t own a multi meter or test light? Thats what I would be hunting for the problem with. You need to find where power is being lost.

bzzsaw
    Participant
    Hudson, Wi

I have the same motor on my boat. I’ve had to replace the relays twice in the past 5 years. If the motor is stuck all the way down, you should be able to switch both relays and get it to go up. If it is stuck all the way up.. same thing. I haven’t had both go at the same time, so this should usually work until you can get a new relay. Luckily they are pretty inexpensive and easy to change.

yahbuddy
    Participant
    Holmen, WI

I agree check the relays. I just had an issue with my tilt and trim on my 1994 evinrude 60 HP. When I got home I switched the relays around and it worked. The initial problem is that it would go down but not down. You also might want to inspect the wires coming into the relay bracket mine are burnt and some melted plastic. Does anyone know of a good place to get that relay assembly with wires? I have looked a little on the internet and have only found used ones that look similiar. Also can’t seem to find the assembly part number.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.