Thorne Brothers Rod Specs?

• crappie55369
    Mound, MN

ok so i have finally bitten the bullet and purchased two ice rods by thorn bros, the powernoodle and and the perch sweetheart. obviously with it being september i havent tried them out yet but i think i will like them. im interested in getting a few more. I got the perch sweetheart for fishing walleye cause i read in many places that this rod can handle big walleye and big spoons. As i prefer to fish with lighter gear i got this one but now im finding more forum posts where guys are saying it can only handle up to 1/8 spoons. This concerns me a bit because i fish LOTW often and sometimes i use 1/4 spoons. I know that i want to invest in a quiverstick cause while i got the powernoodle for pansfish i think i prefer to “feel” fish more than sight fish. My question is does thorn brothers or anyone else for that matter have a chart whereby you can reference the bait size each pole can handle?

For example:

powernoode – 1/80oz – 1/32
    quiverstick – 1/32- 1/8

soomething like that would be very helpful! I will consider buying the walleye sweetheart for when i go up to LOTW and when i fish walleyes in the twin cities but id rather go with a lighter setup if possible.

thanks for your responses and heres hoping for early ice!

PikeFishman
    St. Paul, MN

The Perch SH will handle 1/4 just fine. I use 2 of them and up to 3/8 on occasion. Personally the heavier Walleye SH are too stiff for me, but I tend to use light weight rods across the board.

The Quiverstick is an awesome rod, I just had TB add a tripwire to mine and can’t wait to use it this year.

tucrs
    NW Metro

It is really hard for a ice rod manufacture to rate these because you are not casting them.

A noodle will handle a lot more for some people than it was designed too.

Walleye Sweetheart is a little too stiff in my opinion for most walleye situations the average angler does.

I use a lot of 1/16 oz slender spoons with my TUCR Noodle and have had great success for crappies.

Perch Sweetheart/TUCR Precision is a 1/8 spoon rod. It will handle 1/4oz just fine and smaller lures as well. Just the “sweet spot” is 1/8oz.

PikeFishman
    St. Paul, MN

John – what is the “sweet spot” for the Precision Quicktip? I have a 30″.

tucrs
    NW Metro

1/16 or 5mm tungsten. I have not taken my 5mm CJS off for two years. I love fishing deep water bluegills with that.

tucrs
    NW Metro

No problem. Feel free to ask me any and all questions except for the new rod name…:)

PikeFishman
    St. Paul, MN

Ok I won’t ask for the name, but how about the release date?

Also, any plans to start selling your rod blanks?

patk
    Nisswa, MN

You’ll really like that perch sweetheart. I got one two years ago and gave a second one to a buddy for his 40th birthday.

Agree with the above that 1/8th is the sweet spot. That said one of the best things about this rod is it’s versatility. We’ve both used it for panfish when our other lighter rods weren’t available. It still did a pretty good job! Going up to 1/4 oz spoons is not challenge for it either nor is size of fish.

Only thing I haven’t tried is heavier lures. Mainly because I don’t carry anything heavier in the winter.

ajaikens31
    Big Rapids, Michigan

Before it broke ( my perch sweetheart was the best, most versatile ice rod I’ve ever had. It was perfect for 1/16 to 1/8 ounce spoons and worked for 1/4 ounce. I also have a medium walleye sweetheart and it is a little too stiff for my liking. Let’s just say I wish the walleye sweetheart would’ve broken instead! I do think the walleye sweetheart has its place with things like smaller jigging raps, blade baits, and smaller lipless cranks. Basically stuff that is a little too light to be using medium heavy for. Also, I second the question about TUCR blanks!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.