The trip we won't soon forget

• Zach Peterson
    Participant
    Austin, Mn

4 of us made the trek to URL Friday after work to fish Saturday and Sunday morning. We went out of Beacon Harbor which was a first visit for all of us. Great resort, with great people by the way. Fishing was good, not great, but good. We had a limit of good eaters on the ice by noon Saturday and did a lot of moving around searching for fish throughout the day. No real consistent pattern was ever developed over the course of the day as far as what bait or technique was working best. If you couldn’t tell by now, the fishing certainly wasn’t the reason this trip was one we won’t forget.

Saturday evening we set up on a spot that had produced fish earlier in the day and decided that’s where we were going to stay for “prime time”. Just after sunset Wallster was fishing outside and noticed a sidexside heading in a strange direction in an area where we had noticed open water earlier in the day. I heard him yell “grab your rope!” and knew something bad had happened. We jumped on the wheeler and headed over to a group of houses that were not far from us and told them 2 guys went in and to grab what they had if they could help. Danny from Outdoor Authority deserves the big credit here though. He helped get the first guy that was hanging onto the ice out of the water and then tied himself off and jumped in and swam out to the other guy on the Ranger so we could pull him in.

This was a trip I will literally never forget and not because of the fishing. I hope it’s something nobody ever has to experience.

Please, be safe out there. Talk to the resorts, guides, anyone you can about ice conditions before venturing out on your own. And bring safety gear with you because you or someone else may be depending on it that day. Thankfully, I did hear that these 2 guys are going to be alright after a night in the hospital.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Whew, glad that ended alright!

Sure could have just as easily gone the other way.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Spooky. Glad to hear everyone made it out.

-J.

Zach Peterson
    Participant
    Austin, Mn

Just glad things turned out the way they did and they will be able to spend the holidays with their families this year.

After things settled down it was pretty cool to think how a bunch of strangers worked together to get these guys the help they desperately needed.

wallster
    Participant
    Austin, MN

Yes it was a trip that will never be forgotten. This is by far the scariest thing I have ever been apart of. There is nothing worse that hearing someone screaming for help and you are hurrying as fast as you can. These guy are very lucky to be here today. Lots of what if factors come into play with something like this. I was just glad I was fishing outside at the time and paying attention to things going on around me. Don’t ever take any ice for granted, Be safe.
    Wallster ><((((>

gunsmith89
    Participant
    eyota, mn

I heard about this, they were very lucky!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.