The New Ion Augers Are Out!

• Boss Hawg
    Inactive
    Brainerd Lakes Area

Enough said. Everyone will have an opinion I’m sure. I love mine, 2 years zero problems and now a bigger hole. I’m pumped!

Kurt Turner
    Kasson, MN

Boss – do you fish in sub-zero temps and do you drill, say up to 20 holes a day? I tried one and was quite impressed but like most, work owns me so when I can fish, I fish. Often times the temp are sub minus 20 degrees F before the windchill. LOW is my fav water and was afraid batt life would present problems so I stuck with dealing with smelly gas.

Maybe someday I’ll save enough to own both. I wasn’t real excited about the cost of an extra batt either.

Comments?

Boss Hawg
    Inactive
    Brainerd Lakes Area

Kurt, did it ever get above -20 last year? I think James was a little tough on his review and criticisms of these when they came out. I’ve told a lot people who ask about extra batteries that if you think you need one you’re probably not using it for what it’s intended for. It’s ultimate use is in a permanent house with a few tip ups. My best was I think 32-33 holes in about 2 feet of ice but I was happy as heck with that. If you’re a 20 hole a time guy you’re on the edge, maybe a light propane is your best bet. If 20 is a high guess you’re probably ok. The 10 inch new drill will cut that by 1/2 at least is my guess. These are the permanent house guys dream, zero smell, light, reopen holes like a dream because of the shaver style blades, and best of all they don’t throw ice and water all over because they turn slow. The batteries only suffer if left outside for while. Most of us snap it out, just as easy as a cordless drill and bring it in. Because most of us have generators the battery is full charge in a short time if needed. Strikemaster is one of the main sponsors of just about any ice show out there, it will be interesting to see the reviews on their new electric this year by the pros. If they use lazer blades, stay away. If they use chippers, stay away (they will eat gears). If they use a shaver style flat blade they will have a quality product because they are a quality company. This will be interesting. I have no affiliation with Ion or Eskimo, I just really like the auger and get tired of the run and gun people bash them.

holmsvc
    SE ND

My buddy bought an ION and we fish Devils Lake a lot and we drill quite a few holes. The ION is a great auger, but we always carry 2 augers when going perch fishing. If a guy is going to just drill 20 holes the ion is awesome. IMO for the average weekend warrior there isn’t a better auger. If you are someone that drills a ton of holes it isn’t for you. We also carry an inverter in the truck for recharging the battery when moving around. It works out pretty slick.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.