Sturgeon rod

• mr. pike

I’m looking to get a new rod for St. Croix lake sturgeon. Want a bait caster, good backbone soft tip to detect the soft bite. Any suggestions?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Chris Winchester at 4 Season Sports in Red Wing has a special pricing on a great sturgeon rod unless he sold it already. Special unadvertised price because it’s missing certain decals.

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

How much are you looking to spend? Lots of good choices out there.

I really like the Tiger Ugly Sticks and American Spirit Nite Sticks, but also have a couple of nice custom made rods that I use.

My newest favorite rod is the Okuma Battle Cat. It basically is everything I ask for in a Cat/Sturgeon rod. I haven’t even taken it Sturgeon fishing yet, but I’m very confident it will work great. Here’s a little video review I did of it:

Okuma Battle Cat Rod Review and Impressions: http://youtu.be/mdqXqZNeRBg

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

A BIG rod )

Pictures is a 10′ St Croix Surf Rod – I pull that one out everynow and then for fun.

I like the IM7 MH to XH from Cabelas.
    Really has a nice tip and SOLID backbone. Several 50# fish have come on the MH rod. Great price. I’ll be getting another one, but in H or XH.

Attachments:
    1. 2014-04-27_17_15_55_.jpg

692fisherman
    champlin mn

“big cat”… I believe quantum makes them…. I know you can get them online from the catfish connection but that’s the only place I’ve looked for them

mr-special
    MPLS
    mr. pike wrote:

I’m looking to get a new rod for St. Croix lake sturgeon. Want a bait caster, good backbone soft tip to detect the soft bite. Any suggestions?

more economical rods will wrk , just like more expensive rods will wrk but sum wrk better then others.
    like Darren said it really comes dwn to how much to u plan on spending?
    there are many options out there and all the above have giving very good choices.
    heck 10 or so yrs ago i bought a Berkley Big Game 7′ MH from wallyworld that i use as a backup now but for only $30 hard to beat and ive been pretty darn mean to it and it still wont die lol
    since then ive owned
    Boss 7’6″ #4
    Surge 7’6″ H
    Cabelas 8′ Whuppin Stik H
    Cabelas 8′ KingKat MH
    Daiwa 8’6″ MH Trollin rod
    “a tad on the light side and have broken one over the yrs, but probably more of user error lol”

Tiger rods are very good rods for money soft tip and tons of back bone
    “i dont own one but have use them many times from the buds”

which every rod ya choose having a softer tip will help detect bites and rotate the circle hooks for better hookups but also needs enough back bone to handle a biggun
    i personally like longer 7’6″+ rods cz it does help maneuvering around the motor or when they try to run under the boat and things like that.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Phil, what about the Thunderstick?!?!? I used to love that thing for sturgies. )

mr-special
    MPLS

awh shoot you’re right Ryan.
    i love it and its one of my fav rods. always seem to catch the biggest fish as well
    plz dont tell my ThunderStik i forgot

ThunderStik
    8’6″ or 9′ MH salmon trollin rod

same pix as in the other post
    9’MH
    it was originally a baitcaster but i had it redone for a spinning setup
    i do have another one that is a baitcaster setup

they are super hard to find cz Strom quit making them, salmon hunters out west n in alaska luv them. i think i may have found the last 3 available last yr lol

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I love rod bending photos!!

mr. pike

I’d like to keep it around 100$ give or take a few bucks.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Yup, check in with 4 Seasons…

2301 Old W Main St, Red Wing, MN 55066
    (651) 388-4334

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.