Sturgeon Report on the Rainy River

• Royal_Dutchman

September 8th, 2014:
    Despite the wind all day everyone made it out fishing even including us this evening. The group of 6 only got one sturgeon today that wasn’t in the slot so no keepers yet. They did catch some species also. A group of 4 that got here this afternoon caught 3 sturgeon with 2 of them being short of the slot and one that was smaller. The wind did die down tonight when Grant and I went out fishing. Grant caught and released a 22 inch walleye, I caught and released a mid 20s sturgeon and 2 small saugers. There are some walleyes in the River already as we were strictly sturgeon fishing and were lucky enough to catch those other ones. Towards the end of the evening the wind did pick up again, the temperature dropped, and it looked like it was snowing because of the fish fly hatch.

The picture of Grant is his 22 inch walleye he caught tonight. The other picture is of me (Alyse) with the only sturgeon that was in the mid 20’s. We had a fun night and it was nice to be on the River again. We were using 2oz flat weights but could of gone with less.

September 7th, 2014:
    We have a group of 6 guys that have caught 8 sturgeon between yesterday and today. No keepers, a couple over the slot, a few just short of the slot and some smaller ones. They also caught some other species.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0196.jpg

2. IMG_01941.jpg

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Thanks for the report and beautiful photos with that Rainy River sky for a back drop! Love the Rover, you and the sky photo! Sorry Grant. LOL!

What’s the bait used?

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

One of these years Im going to make it up there for some fall fishing.

Royal_Dutchman

For bait we used 2-3 worms on the hook with a frozen shiner. I have to say I also missed about 3-4 fish last night. Hoping that the weather will be nice on Thursday so we can go out in the evening again for a few hours.

September 9th, 2014:
    During the night we had a thunderstorm and got about a half inch of rain. Today was cool and windy with some rain this evening. Despite the bad weather the group of 6 guys caught 9 sturgeon this afternoon/evening with one being a keeper. This was the best day of fishing so far on their trip. They got some walleyes and an 2 big small mouth bass (18 inches and 20 inches).

This picture is of the sturgeon they kept for today.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_7059.jpg

Royal_Dutchman

September 15th, 2014:
    I received some emails today with sturgeon pictures and some information. I would like to share the information from one group over this weekend about their fishing report, “Thank you for another great stay! We caught 28 sturgeon in 2 days (September 12th and 13th) on the river plus many many other species and we caught over 40 walleye and sauger in one day (September 14th) on lake of the woods. We were even fortunate enough to bring home our limit of walleyes!”

September 12th, 2014:
    The group of six guys from Wisconsin spent most of their last day out fishing before heading home. When they came in around noon they didn’t have any keepers but said they caught 6 walleyes the night before with the biggest one being 26 inches. The biggest sturgeon caught since September 6th, 2014 for the group was 58 inches. They had caught a total of 27 sturgeon so far with just one being a keeper. They went back out for a few more hours this day to try and get 5 more keepers. They were fishing from 2PM-5PM and caught 7 sturgeon with 2 of them being keepers before they came back in and headed home.

Royal_Dutchman

September 22nd, 2014:
    We did end up with rain this weekend and some crazy wind along with a little bit of hail on Friday night. Today was gorgeous and looks like the last part of the Sturgeon keep season is going to be really nice. We talked to some groups that stayed here this past weekend fishing and they said they caught some sturgeon and one group of 3 even went home with their limit of walleyes even though they were fishing for sturgeon. One group caught a 61 inch sturgeon and 55 inch sturgeon this past weekend. Between all the groups there were 3 sturgeon kept. We talked to a local guy that has been fishing the river and has had some really good nights and some slower nights the past week or so. The walleye are starting to bite more now hoping that means October Fishing will be awesome! We have had a guy fishing off the dock and he has caught some slot walleyes this past weekend also.

Royal_Dutchman

September 29th, 2014:
    We had 9 rooms that were fishing sturgeon during this past weekend with most of them saying that Friday was the best day. The biggest one sturgeon we heard of was 61 inches with some other in the mid-50s. We also had a group that was walleye fishing and it seemed the river had slowed down a bit so they headed out to the Pine Island area on Friday and kept 12 walleyes in just a few hours.
    On Saturday it was so beautiful out I saw it was 85 degrees for the high at our place. The walleye bite on the lake had slowed down a bit but the same group that was walleye fishing ended up catching some to keep. The sturgeon fishermen said today was very slow but one group caught a keeper which was this guy’s first sturgeon he has ever caught.
    On Sunday a few groups that didn’t head home tried sturgeon fishing til the rain came and said it was still slow but they caught a few. Most of Sunday it was raining and we ended up getting 3/4 of an inch of rain.
    Today we had a group of 3 that came for the day to sturgeon fish they ended up catching a 52 inch one, a sucker, a northern and a small walleye. Today was a cooler and cloudy we did get to see the sun for most of the afternoon.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.