Strange Day on Pool 4

• captddh
    Cannon Falls, MN

Couldn’t resist the unexpected mild weather so I pulled out the boat from the barn and headed down. Got fishing by 11 and could not get them going for a couple of hours. Some fish were being caught,…mostly small sauger but not for me. Finally found a spot and used a split shots rig and a black jig with a minnow to catch my fish. It got really foggy to the point where I put up the lights. Then a light rain. Many thanks to Brian at Everts for his help with the truck and trailer. Service at Everts is always second to none, today included. Spent the evening fixing rigs and putting up fans to dry the boat out. Looks like cooler weather ahead,…I feel like we got cheated out of the fall fishing with the warm fall turning suddenly into winter. I’m really glad I didn’t sit at home today.

fred bartling

I found the same thing. Many of my usual presentation and spots just didn’t produce. Nothing on blades, no action by the dam so I went to tinkering. Trying different colors and speeds finally paid of by Slowing way down and fishing smaller Moxies by the Y gave me a fish or two per run. Nothing lights out but I had a blast being on the water today.

People were laughing, listening to the game and catching enough fish to keep it interesting.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

No kidding! Yesterday most everyone had a “good” day and some had a great day fishing.

Today, same overcast skys, warmer temps and I didn’t talk to anyone that did any better then good. One boat that was trolling stick had 7 17″ plus fish but it did take most of the day.

Still, sure didn’t seem like anyone came off the water unhappy.

Here’s a couple shots from before the fog became….thick. )

Attachments:
    1. 10805760_903521876354353_521599545123031186_n.jpg

2. 10808370_657585894359049_1929990429_n.jpg

Palerider77

Between fixing snoopy rods and doling out the snacks, I did manage to put one nice eye in the boat, great to get back out on the water.

flanders51

It was a weird day. There were a lot of boats, fog, and rain. We had a lot of fun, though. It also took us awhile to find fish. When we did, the sauger bit very well and we got a limit. It took a fair amount of driving around and trying things. The fish we caught were also on the small side – I wonder where the big ones went?

All in all, great day to be on the water.

louis-robinson
    dodge co. mn

Strange is a understatement …I would call that day bazzare…
    Mike G and myself got on the water around 9 bells..it started with a quick flury. First three or four drops produced keepers..then strange things started happening ..lol (bananas)..the fish were pinning the bait on the bottom which resulted in snagged fish in the belly..(bananas)..we picked up a fish or two every hour..well mike did..(bananas) overall still beat sitting on the couch eating (bananas)
    Oh yeai would like to send a special thanks to my good friend Doug Robinson for the (bananas)…leave them home next time lol…

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I told you Louis, it doesn’t matter if they are in your tackle box or your belly. )

I was surprised that so many took along the free banana’s supplied by Doug Robinson. Only two people said “no bananas in my boat”. LOL!

louis-robinson
    dodge co. mn

Yea I ate mine in the bait shop..mike whipped one out around three hours into the day in boat..he didn’t notice but I just shook my head.lol

mike-g
    Bloomington,MN

Yea I ate mine in the bait shop..mike whipped one out around three hours into the day in boat..he didn’t notice but I just shook my head.lol

This recent vid took all the banana fears away…

Sunday on the river brought them all back.

joshkral

thats some serious banana action!

joshkral

Smaller baits were key on that day, I found that biting off 1 or 2 inches of the heads of the 4″ ringworms and moxis produced more fish. I had a blast pulling f7s on 3way rigs. My best run was 8 fish (3 over 16″) from the vermillion to the y. The fish were localized in a few spots, it seemed like every time I went over a certain couple of waypoints I got bit. I had a couple doubles on those spots and also noticed other boats getting bit on the same area.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Thanks Josh!

But the real question is…. did you take any bananas along?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

The last time there was a banana in my boat all we caught was scaly fish and I darn near broke my leg on a peel.

Corey Waller will never be allowed in my boat again without a thorough search. Minus body cavities. (Beat you to it Don Lincoln)

Attachments:
    1. 1370261065_DSC04156.jpg

joshkral

no bananas, just some jalapeño spam and some schell’s beer

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.