St Louis River opener plans

• poppy402
    Participant
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

So who is planning to be on the river Saturday morning? This will definitely be an interesting year to say the least! I honestly have no idea what to expect as the conditions have been as crazy as they can get! There is only one way to find out though and that is to get out at the crack of dawn on Saturday and find out for yourself!

The DNR had reported that during their seasonal spring walleye processes, the water levels were that of August. Since then flow has picked up a little, but we are still very low for this time of year. Furthermore it was said that this year was the earliest they had been on the St Louis in a long time as they shocked and netted walleyes. Couple that with the cold temps we have been having as of late and that sure gets my head spinning. Surely the fish will be spread out all over the river, but It will be interesting to see what depth they will be holding at.

What I plan on doing is casting B fish N tackle jigs and moxies to a variety of depths to try and get a feel for what depth the fish are holding at. Let’s hope I still have the magic touch from fishing the Rainy River a few weeks back! Hopefully I will be able to leave the trolling rods in the truck and stick with the jigging and pitching rods but we will see. And always, let’s have faith that the weather is favorable and lets us get in a comfortable day of fishing!

stuwest
    Participant
    Elmwood, WI

Grant-is the photo a Rainy eye or a StLouis eye??

poppy402
    Participant
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

Rainy. No walleye pics yet from the st louis River, that will all change saturday tho! Lets hope my magic will continue this weekend! I plan on fishing the same exact way as i was on the Rainy a few weeks back.

muskeye
    Participant
    Duluth, Mn

My guess is trolling will be the winner, hope everyone stays up river.

Jesse Krook
    Participant
    Y.M.H.

Was out there Sunday for the first time ever. Did ok but the boat the other boat of our 2 boat crew hammered ’em. They had a bunch of fish that went 22-28 inches. My boat scraped up a 26″, 20″, 16″ and a few smaller ones. Not bad for the first time ever being there…..I plan on being back, what a fun river to fish

Jesse Krook
    Participant
    Y.M.H.

How’d the tourney go this weekend Grant ? What were the results and how’d you do ?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.