Still eating beans

• sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

I find it a little odd the deer are still eating the beans. The field next to my house the beans are pretty yellow, almost turning brown with little to no green in them, yet the deer are still hitting them pretty hard. My past experience tells me when they start to yellow the deer move to a different food source until the pods dry down, then they return. Not this year for some reason. Anyone else seeing this?

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I was hunting Brasicas last weekend. Mostly green but some yellowing. I was surprised to see the deer pull some of the yellow tops off and eat them.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

We’re not in soybean country, but I would think they would shift soon. I suppose, though, it all depends on the other options and how available they are within the comfort zone and territory for these deer.

This is one of the things I’ve noticed about deer in town. For 195 straight days they will ignore the hostas in my wife’s flower bed. And then on Day 196, they will eat every hosta down to the ground.

WTF? What changed? Did the hostas suddenly taste good, where before they tasted bad? Did the deer suddenly just notice them? “Hey! There’s hostas here! I can’t believe I didn’t see them before!”

Wouldn’t it be awesome to talk to deer? Hey guys, I was just wondering…

Grouse

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

I here ya, last year I had standing beans with tons of pods until December 2, they hardly touched them, on December 4 I came out to hunt to nothing but stems. My larger plots at the farm they did the greens in summer and returned when the pods dried down. Here at home the deer are just freaks )

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Yes, I have long suspected there’s a lot of IQ variation with deer. In the spring there will be lush green grass on every south slope and the deer will still be eating bark and pine needles because that’s what they’ve been eating all winter.

I wonder if a deer’s stomach doesn’t take time to “turn on” to other foods, so when they first switch to another feed source, it takes time for their stomach to adjust, so they won’t quickly switch from food A to B.

Grouse

covert1

We switched from beans to corn a couple weeks ago and now its all about the acorns.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.