Something for everyone on the trail cam.

• TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Was up to the property and pulled the chip on the cam by the mineral lick. I didn’t expect to have much on the camera because I have a new food plot about 20 yards away that we just sprayed with roundup, so I thought that would keep the deer away. But as it turns out, it didn’t keep anything away.

There was something for everyone. Deer, raccoons, beaver, lions, tigers, bears, etc. Ok, I just threw the lions and tigers in there, but we had everything else listed. Lots and lots of activity.

Check out Mr. Buck. What a nice looking deer. Hopefully he’s getting plenty of mineral. He’s at least a 6, tough to tell with the velvet, but hopefully he’s a big one in the making.

Awwww, a doe and a fawn. Since this doe is with a fawn, it makes it easier to tell that there are other does as well. I also got a shot of a spike and other does.

More pics in the next post.

Grouse

Attachments:
    1. EK000083.jpg

2. EK000130.jpg

3. EK000136.jpg

4. EK000113.jpg

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Ok, a few more.

Mr. Bear needs to find a new home. Or I need to find someone who needs a new rug and wants to hunt him. I don’t need a bunch of bear mucking up the place and chewing everything up.

I’ve caught another bear at night as well, no telling if its the same one, but I’d bet it is.

The creek is about 100 yards from this spot and I have made a nice water hole by putting in some rocks to create a pool where there’s a low-slope bank, so my guess is that most of these deer and other animals are coming to/from the water hole.

Grouse

And look here, we have another buck coming along.

Attachments:
    1. EK000054.jpg

2. EK000068.jpg

3. EK000069.jpg

4. EK000070.jpg

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Gotta love trail camera Christmas!!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

The image quality coming from those cameras is really pretty impressive. I haven’t paid much attention to trail cam capability for a few years now. They’ve come a long way, obviously!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Ya, it’s pretty cool what you get sometimes. I love the anticipation of collecting my cards and hitting the computer to review.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Yes, the image quality of the current gen cameras is very good. This camera is an 8 MP Bushnell Trophy Cam, but even though I have it set on the 5 MP setting for smaller files size, the images are still fantastic.

I’m actually really impressed by the nighttime IR pictures. Not that they are so great compared to the daytime pics, but just that this is even possible in a sub-$200 camera still blows my mind.

I remember when the first string-tripped film trail cams came out and I thought it would be really neat to be able to know what (if anything) was using a given trail. We’ve come a long way, baby.

The cameras for me have become a hobby in their own right. I just enjoy seeing the deer and other animals close up. I’ll have to post my “other” collection of pics, I have bobcats, coyotes, raccoon, beaver, turkey, basically whatever walks around in the woods.

Grouse

sktrwx2200

Grouse,
    Great pictures. I also use Bushnell Trophy Cams. IMO best camera out there as far as BANG FOR THE BUCK. I have 6 now, and cant stop buying them. Its very addicting setting the cameras and viewing the photos.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Its very addicting setting the cameras and viewing the photos.

You took the words right out of my mouth, if for whatever reason I had to give up deer hunting (that won’t happen by the way) I would still run trail cams it has become one of my favorite hobbies! I am up to 12 cams this year.

Attachments:
    1. PICT0067_zps04fc8833.jpg

sktrwx2200

Steve,
    Which trail camera model have you have the best luck with? Which one is your favorite?

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Grouse,
    Great pictures. I also use Bushnell Trophy Cams. IMO best camera out there as far as BANG FOR THE BUCK. I have 6 now, and cant stop buying them. Its very addicting setting the cameras and viewing the photos.

Just added another Bushnell Trophy Cam HD over the weekend. Cabelas has the Trophy Cam HD on sale for $199 and then there’s a $30 mail in rebate bringing it down to $169. This is a really good deal on a new 8 MP camera with built-in GPS, so I couldn’t stop myself.

Really looking forward to deploying this camera next weekend. I strapped it to a tree in the back yard facing my kid’s play fort to test it out. Great quality and it catches everything. Love the hybrid mode that takes both still pics and video/sound of the same scene once triggered.

My first Trophy Cam is now 4 years old and it’s been terrific. Set ‘er up and let ‘er run.

Grouse

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.