So I was at Cabelas today…..

• steuben1
    Participant
    Indiana

I saw a few shimano sienna 500fd’s in the ice fishing area. I have Ticas on all my rods so I wasn’t looking for a new reel. I started spinning the reel and thought this is a really nice reel. I then wondered how much they cost and seen the price of $29. I was expecting it to cost a lot more than that. I went ahead and bought two to give them a try. I am going to hang them on two TUCR precision noodles. Just thought I would post this in case others didn’t know about these reels because I sure didn’t.

By the way, it looks like I will be headed over to your folks area this winter as a trip to Green Bay is in the works! (If Erie ice doesn’t happen) lol

CBMN
    Participant
    North Metro

Siennas are a great deal. I probably have at least 10 now and don’t think there is a better reel under $40 or $50. Talk to the guys at TUCR about drag washers and cold weather lube as you can make these reels even better for just a few more $ and a bit of your own time.

tucrs
    Participant
    NW Metro

Put some drag washers in them!

Then they feel like a $45 reel. It is the best reel for the $30 in my opinion.

steuben1
    Participant
    Indiana

Put some drag washers in them!

Then they feel like a $45 reel. It is the best reel for the $30 in my opinion.

Thanks for the heads up John. Is there a thread anywhere that I can learn where to get the replacement drag washers and how to do it?

DWSDave31
    Participant
    Southern WI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBne6xUtBIk just figured I would help a bit plus I kind of wanted to know my self… One question for anyone that might know? What will that do for your drag as far as catching fish goes?

CBMN
    Participant
    North Metro

It is very easy and I buy washers from John at TUCR. Maybe takes 5 – 10 minutes per reel. The sienna 2500 size I have done most have a stacked drag with 3 metal washers and 3 felt washers and I replace all 3 felt washers with carbon fiber washers. The carbon fiber drag washer package says they can be installed dry or with grease and I put a little bit of grease on each befor I install. I believe the 500 and 1000 size siennas only have 1 metal and 1 felt washer but don’t remember exactly right now as I have fewer reels in that size.

I think the drags are a lot smoother with washers installed. I replaced the drags in every shimano spinning reel that I own this summer, ranging from symetre’s down to siennas. Majority of my experience using these reels has been open water reels in the 2500 and 1000 size as I didn’t get into this until May or June this year but I’m sure it will help ice reels.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.