smallie reports?

• sticker
    Participant
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

It seems the smallies have moved off the shallow rock piles now. Been having great luck in 6-10′ on the rocks the last few weeks, but this last weekend was very slow. Some small fish, but the majority of the 14-20″ are gone. I did try to work some deeper humps(12-16′) near where I was having luck, but could not find them there either. Anyone having luck or are they recovering from the spawn?

ptc
    Participant
    Apple Valley/Isle, MN

A week ago, I watched 2 guys catch a lot of smallies under and around my dock on Mille Lacs. Everything that I saw they put into a livewell. I was not counting nor was I paying close attention (I was doing a project on my house) but they were keeping an awful lot of fish. They were keeping smallies that could not have been over 8″. This went on for hours. I was getting a bit frustrated by it because my grandkids were going to be up for the 4th and like catching the tiny smallies under the dock which I was now fairly sure were going to be gone. So I asked if they could leave a few behind for my grandkids. Their response was, “nope we’ve got to clean the smallmouth out of the lake to make room for walleye”.

I think that sort of ill informed “sportsman” is not alone and as a group they are having a very negative impact on what could have been a real good thing for the resorts in the area.

mnfish
    Participant
    Lake Elmo MN

Their response was, “nope we’ve got to clean the smallmouth out of the lake to make room for walleye”.[/quote]

WOW!! (

Greg Perz
    Participant

Any recent news about smallies? I am coming up with a buddy this weekend and we will be focusing on smallies.

sticker
    Participant

my brother was up tuesday, they caught a bunch on shallow rocks throwing cranks, but they were all small. Tubes did not work for him. That’s all I have, but I will know more tomorrow, I am heading up tonight.

Greg Perz
    Participant

Thanks for the info and keep me posted.

EIU

sticker
    Participant

Lot of small is on rocks in 8- 12′ of water, one 19″ the rest pretty small. Got all of them on orange river rocker.

Greg Perz
    Participant

I’ll let you know how we do. I am on my way up there.

Greg

sticker
    Participant

Wow, it’s tough putting back these 18″ walleyes doah

Greg Perz
    Participant

Got 3 smallies between 12″ and 14″. All fish were in 8-10 FOW. 2 came on a perch DT-10 and 1 one a pumpkin tube jig. Seemed a little slow. Only saw one other fish caught all day.

Greg Perz
    Participant

Not that I am bailing on the summer smallie bite, but how is the fall bite? When does it usually start and what are the typical patterns? Newer to the area and I really want to focus on smallies. Greg

sticker
    Participant

I ended up with 3 smallies over the 19″ mark, the rest were 10-14″.

I have no idea on the fall bite. Labor day weekend my boat goes into storage and the hunting gear comes out.

stuart
    Participant
    Mn.

Starting in October,all day every day until freeze up stops my boat from going out.

Attachments:
    1. image44.jpg

2. image45.jpg

Greg Perz
    Participant

Stuart,
    Those are some pigs! What is the typical/best pattern in the fall?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.