Shimano may have lost me-No Spare Spools

• suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

I have been buying Shimano reels almost exclusively since 1988. I find out yesterday at Gander they no longer supply or even offer spare spools. My current reel need is a multi-purpose rig and I need mono on one spool and fireline on the other. I ended up leaving the store without a reel yesterday. Now I am considering other mfgs.
    What have others heard or know about this?

Joel VandeKrol
    Participant
    Ankeny, IA

I have been a loyal Pflueger customer, but they just started doing the same thing. I had to go to a different store to find back stock that had the extra spool. The rep I talked to said they had the option of raising the prices $10 or removing the extra spool, and they chose the latter on that specific model. The next step up still has the extra spool in production… you may find you need to upgrade with Shimano as well.

Hope this helps!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I just buy spare spools for my reels through Dean at AGHQ. Shimano, and most other manufacturers, dropped the spare spool some time ago.

puddlepounder
    Participant
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

Just like same size bag, less potato chips. Every company is charging more for less. If your attitude is the title of your post, you won’t be buying anything from anyone. Times have changed, get used to it!

CBMN
    Participant
    North Metro

I agree with James and Puddle…

I havent bought a reel in 5 years or so that has a spare… If you need one that comes with a spare, you might be making your own from here on. My guess is several sporting specialty retailers will order you a spare, but I would price that against getting another reel or rod and reel commbo all together, but unsure how much you plan to spend.

red89
    Participant
    Hudson

Go on ebay and buy a never used old model of a shimano reel that you like. I bought an old sahara model reel last year on ebay that came brand new in box (with spare spool) for about $35 less than buying a new model.

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

I just buy spare spools for my reels through Dean at AGHQ. Shimano, and most other manufacturers, dropped the spare spool some time ago.

I’ll give them a call. No email option on their website.

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

Just like same size bag, less potato chips. Every company is charging more for less. If your attitude is the title of your post, you won’t be buying anything from anyone. Times have changed, get used to it!

My attitude is that companies have to continually earn my business. Times may have changed for you but not me.

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

Thanks James. I spoke to a lovely young lady there that says they will order a spool for me. No need going to the “top dog”! Yet! lol

Dean Marshall
    Participant
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Thanks James. I spoke to a lovely young lady there that says they will order a spool for me. No need going to the “top dog”! Yet! lol

Gee should I be offended ! LOL My cell is still the same Mike, anytime ya need something give a holler!

puddlepounder
    Participant
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>puddlepounder wrote:</div>

My attitude is that companies have to continually earn my business. Times may have changed for you but not me.

not trying to start a fight, just saying that compines are charging more and you get less, some are sneeky about it and some are up front about it. looks like shimano earned your business this time, you bought the extra spool.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>suzuki wrote:</div>

Gee should I be offended ! LOL My cell is still the same Mike, anytime ya need something give a holler!

Still top dog….

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_2014-08-01-22-34-27-1.png

Brad Anderson
    Participant
    Minnesota

I ordered 4 spool assemblies for my symetres and sedonas from ereplacementparts.com

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.