Rod For Walleye

• rednax
    Participant
    Southern WI

I mostly use jigging raps, rattl’n flyers and flutter spoons for walleye. Looking at getting some custom rods this year, should i use a Power Precision or Precision for eyes?

Ben Putnam
    Participant
    Saint Paul, MN

I would lean toward the Precision, mostly because of its versatility. You will be able to get better action on smaller spoons and raps if you have to downsize, and the rod is more than enough for 1/4oz baits as well. Mine has handled 30″ Lakers on #6-7 Rippin Raps without a worry, and I’ve felt the bite on walleye down to 3″… not that you want to catch 3″ eyes, but it’s nice to know when something hits your bait. I know the Power Precision is sensitive enough to feel those little bites as well, but if it were me; I would get the PP as a secondary rod purchase and start out with the Precision for a first purchase.

timschmitz
    Participant
    Waconia MN

I use 2 rods for my jigging raps. The first is a Thorne bros 36″ perch sweetheart. That rod allows me to really snap the bait hard when fishing the rap aggressively the 2nd rod is a Thorne bros 34″ deadstick for when I need a slow bouncing presentation. Give Lonnie a call at Thorne bros and tell him your application and he’ll make you the finest ice rod on the market!

tucrs
    Participant
    NW Metro

Give me a shout I can help you out.

Personally the Precision is more versatile. It can handle 1/8 spoons very well and smaller jigging raps. The power shines on the bigger lures #5 Rippin Raps and others that a slightly heavier.

If you have any more questions feel free to give me a call too.

Thank you

scmelik
    Participant
    South Dakota

For me I would have two different rods for those presentations. One softer for the flutter type spoons and smaller jiggin raps and one stiffer for the larger spoons and larger jiggin raps or rippin rap style baits.

AaronMoore
    Participant

I love my DH Walleye rod for jigs over 1/8 to 1/4. There are some great rods in the 1/8 jig range: TB Perch Sweetheart, DH Perch Pounder and of course TUCR Precision or the Quick tip for a lighter more finesse touch. Any one of the major guys will build you a great rod, I have one or two from all these guys, love them all.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.