recommended kicker hp

• Tim J
    Participant
    Duluth, MN

Getting a 17 ft Lund angler with 115 opti and want to put a kicker on for trolling cranks. Boat weighs about 1200 lbs. What size kicker would you recommend from your experience? I’m sure like trolling motors; the bigger the better. But i don’t think I need a 9.9. Would 6 hp be enough or 5 hp, 8?

deertracker
    Participant

I had the Yamaha T8 on my 17.5 Tyee. That moved it just fine. There was a stretch during fall trolling on Mille Lacs years ago where that was the only motor my dad had on it as his main broke down.
    DT

blackbay
    Participant
    mn

Get at least an 8hp. The smaller motors aren’t built with the strongest mounting brackets. Plus the smaller motors don’t have the best props for trolling.

igotone
    Participant

Get at least an 8hp. The smaller motors aren’t built with the strongest mounting brackets. Plus the smaller motors don’t have the best props for trolling.

or electric start and tilt and trim + the alternator that can keep battery charged

Joel Ballweg
    Participant
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

I ran a Lund pro v 1800 for 10 years with T8 on the back. Worked great but I wouldn’t put anything less than 8hp back there.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.