Reata, angler or fisherman?

• Illinivet8
    Iowa

I spent a couple of weeks a year at a Minnesota cabin. Fish wall eyes along with 1-2 people in the am, occasionally pull a tube or skier in the afternoon, and fish for crappies in the evening. The entire family likes to fish crappies, so sometimes there is up to 7 (crowded but fun!)
    Looking at a 1850, 2050 or 620. Presently fish out of an 1850 Tyee, ready for something new.
    Any experience you can share would be helpful.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

take a look at a Stratos 326XF as well. Stratos and Rangers come out of the same factory, but the Stratos may be a bit less expensive, and is another layout option to consider.

walleyenordy
    Cottage Grove, MN

I owned a older stratos and for what I had it was a good boat.
    The choices that you have chosen I would look at the Reata. But I wouldn’t rule out the Skeeter. Skeeter and now SBC has a site in Ramsey wow they are awesome and hey the skeeter boat is a nice one.
    I have a yarcraft and like that as well. (look at the 186FSX this boat will get you the best of all you are doing.)
    Good luck and post pics when you get it!!!

Grawler

I have a 621 fisherman and if I were you I’d get the Reata. Great boat that will do all you want and the family will enjoy more too.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

I have a friend with the Reata and test drove a new one at a on water demo last year. I’m not familiar with Skeeter or Stratos. Here’s my opinion on the Reata.

As far as I can see the Reata is the best option out there for combining pleasure boating with being a real fishing boat. All the others that I’ve looked at fall very short at accomplishing both purposes.

Our family has a lake place and we are running two boats for now. One a 20′ runabout with a ton of power but can’t fish to save it’s life. The other is a 14′ aluminum so we can at least take 3 people fishing. At some point we’ll consolidate and the Reata is on the very short list.

The two possible weaknesses I see are price and power. Quality and attention to detail doesn’t come cheap. As for power we pull both tubers and adult slalom skiers. No problem for tubing but might be a bit light to bet slalom skiers out of the hole.

I’ve fished and had beers in my buddy’s Reata but haven’t skied behind it yet so the power comment is speculation.

Good luck!

mustfish

We have a Reata 1750 and love it. It is the older one rated for only 130hp max, so it has a 115 on it. It can pull a skier up out of the hole, but they need to be a good skier as it does not exactly pop them up instantly. It works just fine for pulling tubes and for the skiers I pull (who are quite good).

I suspect the bigger Reatas with bigger outboards will be just fine in that area.

I love how the boat handles and drives. It is primarily a fishing boat and works great for that. Love the layout, the jump seats, storage, etc.

Dave

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

I’ve fished and had beers in my buddy’s Reata but haven’t skied behind it yet so the power comment is speculation.

Behind anything short of one of these, I have never complained that a tow rig had too much power. (and I have never skied behind a triple rig)

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Not sure what size boat you are looking for, but from the Stratos side of things, the 326 is a 20’6″ boat. They like to call it a fish and ski, but it is really a fishing boat that has bow cushions you can add, jump seats, and a ski pole option. If you are looking for something in the 18 foot range, the 386 is more of a fish and ski. The 326 will take up to a 250 and the 386 will take up to a 200. Both are more than capable of pulling skiers and tubers, and both are very fishable. If you plan to use it more as a fishing boat, I would look at the 326, and if more family than fishing, I would look at the 386. They are both really good rides.

FryDog62

I had a Reata 1850 for 3 years. It was good for family cruising, tubing, etc. Most people like it for walleye fishing in big water and I’m sure its fine for family crappie outings.

However, after my parents sold their cabin we didn’t do those things above any more. And my style of fishing is more bass, muskie, casting, etc. I thought the Reata was less than optimal for that type of fishing. High sides, windshield in the way of casting… it was really cumbersome for me, so I sold it.

If used for the right application its a very good boat, but it didn’t fit me any more..

ERIKJ
    Chaska, MN

4-EYES,

I have had an 1850 since 2005. It was one of the first boats sold here in that model. At the time I was looking at Lund TyEE or Stratos 386 until I saw finish of the Ranger. Sold me. Deep enough for Mille Lacs and LOTW most times, pulls my kids on tubes and boards, fishes eyes great on Woman, casts OK for bass and Muskies. If a guy was hardcore casting this would not be the boat. It does a good job trying to cover all bases and that is what my family needs. No Problems in 9 years and would do it again.
    EJ

Illinivet8
    Iowa

EJ, Thanks for the feedback. It would be nice to have a bigger front casting deck, but I hate to give up the space in the back of the boat for when I have a boat full of people. Same with the storage in the fisherman series. We don’t ski much at all, but having the option is important. I have narrowed down to the 1850 or 2050. Any difference in getting the bigger boat in and out of lakes? Are they similar? I also may need to go to a motor on my boat lift cause a 2050 may be a lot to hand crank.

bclii
    MN/AZ

Buy the 620 and don’t look back! You’ll be glad you did down the road!

Sneaky
    Hayward, WI

Get a Reata as big as you can afford.

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

Yeah I agree with bclii, get a 619 or 620. Good ski boat and good fishin boat will never collide in the same sentence. I have been running my 620 since 2002 and it is functional pulling skiers and tubers and it fishes incredibly. I enjoy a variety of fishing with the big front deck casting is a breeze and you can add the easy in and out back platform to make it basically a deep V bass boat if chase bass or muskies is the flavor of the day.

Best thing you can do is look at A LOT of boat brands and models, get in them and crawl around and make sure they fit your fishing needs.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.