Rainy Lake, What's going on

• eauclaireboys
    Participant
    Eau Claire wi

Three of us are heading up to Rainy Lake tomorrow for 4 days (I am super excited). This year we decided to stay at Kettle Falls Hotel instead of camp as we have for the past 4 or 5 years. A little change of scenery and a bit closer to a bar.

Has anyone been out recently? I would guess that the fish are on the reefs and humps. If you have any knowledge of what recently has been working well or any specific targets that you have had good action I would be more than greateful if you would share.

I will be sure to post our results for all of you to use. )

Wayne Daul
    Participant
    Green Bay, Wi

I haven’t been there since early July but have heard they are now on the reefs. Reports also said they can still be caught trolling shoreline in early a.m. The humps towards Brule Narrows should be good. Water is still about 3′ high so you may have to reset your fish finder offset.

fishinfreaks
    Participant
    Rogers, MN

We’re also heading up this week and wondering what to use up there. First time to Rainy for me. Is it a jig bit? Lindy’s? What are the colors on Rainy Lake to have?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

@Fishinfreaks

@eauclaireboys

When the fish are on the reefs jigs, lindys and pulling spinners will all work well so if you have a preferred method it will work for you on Rainy. If the fish get picky anchor your boat just upstream from those fish and drift a slip bobber and jig tipped with a minnow or leech on top of those fish. Set the baits 2 to 3 feet above their heads and let them come up to the baits versus fishing tight to the bottom. The slip bobber, while not glamorous, has turned some tough days around for us.

On Rainy I like to start searching reefs with my electronics first before I start fishing. Most of the fish on the reefs will be in 20′ plus feet of water so spotting pods of fish is usually very easy to do. If they’re there they stick out like a sore thumb if your sonar is up to snuff. I’ll hop from reef to reef looking for concentration of fish to work then set up on them using my favorite technique.

You’ll see a fish or two scattered along the edges of most reefs. My advice is to keep looking until you find a concentration versus spending time on individual fish. Again, when fish are on the reefs on Rainy they’re usually easy to graph. So trust those electronics.

As far as colors are concerned pack orange chatreuse, pink, white and unpainted for the jigs and gold, Firetiger, bright crawfish and bright perch patterns for the spinner rigs and you should be in good shape.

Crawlers were always good up there midsummer. Fishing half a crawler on a 1/4 oz jig has accounted for most of my reef walleye up there this time of year. I’ve typically set up upwind of fish graphed on the reef, anchored and cast back to those fish with jig and half a crawler. You’ll lose a few jigs but it can be deadly effective.

When fishing spinners I’ve used 2 to 3 oz bottom bouncers and spinner rigs with a 40 to 48 inch leader. The shorter leaders help keep the spinner up out of the rocks. If your snagging your spinner rigs too often add an inline float to provide added bouyancy to keep the hooks up out of the rocks. Gold has always been my best spinner color and trolling speeds have been in the 1.2 to 1.4 mph range. When fishing spinners on Rainy reefs boat control is everything as the reefs can be very steep.

This time of year the reefs on the east end near Blueberry and north and east to the Canadian line can be HOT! Enjoy.

fishinfreaks
    Participant
    Rogers, MN

Thanks, James. That’s a very helpful start. I suppose I’m running behind on doing my homework…not like me. I’m off to buy a map and put together my game plan.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.