rain gear opinions…

• 692fisherman
    Participant
    champlin mn

I know this is a on going topic but….

i am thinking about getting some new rain gear and of course don’t want to refinance my house to do so……. what have people had good luck with for the 125$ a piece price range. has anyone heard anything about the frabill f2 gear??

thanks a ton guys

patk
    Participant
    Nisswa, MN

Here’s my conundrum on the subject. Breathable vs non-breathable or put another way Gore Tex(or equivalent) vs PVC.

If you only care about waterproof there’s nothing better than PVC coated material. If done correctly it’s actually waterPROOF. The Alaskan commercial fishermen are using heavy duty versions of this like Gage or Red Ledge. check out this site: http://www.americanworkwear.com/Rainwear-s/144.htm

That’s a big difference from water resistant. Waterproof breathables like Goretex are really water resistant. The rate them by waterproof up to a certain point. Even the best 3 layer Goretex will let water through under the right conditions. Say for example an all day soaker at Rainy Lake.

for the $125 range and breathables look for proprietary waterpoofing. Everyone seems to call theirs something different. Make sure it’s seam sealed. Sorry, no experience on the Frabill. Most of my stuff has been skiing/climbing/hiking type companies like Marmot.

Mike Johnson
    Participant
    Nashua Iowa

I’ve been real happy with my frog togs firebelly toad jacket and toad skinz pants. Have only had them from early this spring but they haven’t failed me yet!

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

Cabela’s Rainy River series are at that price point and work great.
    I have a set that is at least 15 years old that I now wear quading or any other time I don’t care what happens to them. Still work! I have other popular brands and models but if my Rainy River’s were to disappear today I would immediately buy another set. They fit a niche being light weight and easy to transport/wear as well as rock solid water protection.

Update-I just checked Cabelas and they don’t sell it anymore. They have pac-light Rainy River but that is a different animal. I have those too but they are unlined and not my favorite.

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

I did some more checking. It looks like Cabela’s no longer sells Rainy River or a mid-range replacement. What a strange move. Buy another brand.

Noah Apples
    Participant

Mossy oak has some pretty reasonable rain gear. Wall Mart has the best prices. 100% waterproof especially with zippers will always be expensive.

Noah

flatfish
    Participant
    Rochester, MN

If your talking about having these just for fishing when that ‘scattered’ shower comes by, I think is gonna be hard to best FROGG TOGGS. > I have the light weight ‘cheap’ pair on my cycle, and the heavier pair for all around. I took the heavier pair on this last weekends Slammin-Salmon GTG, and wore them to break the wind chill out there on the 52 -58 degree water….

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Quite a while back I bought a set of Game Hide Typhoon Series Rain Gear…

Maybe some of the guys here remember when we all did it..

But they are as dry as the day I bought them.. Comfortable and we’ll a pointed with pockets and such…

Sorry but I don’t have any experience with the Frabil..

aleb
    Participant
    Butler county Iowa

Frog this X2

aleb
    Participant
    Butler county Iowa

Frog togs
    X2. Darn auto spell

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.