quota reached

• puddlepounder
    Participant
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

The word I got is the natives quota has been reached for 2015

deertracker
    Participant

When they are full of eggs the weight adds up quick……
    DT

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

That didn’t seem to take long, when did they start?

puddlepounder
    Participant

When the ice started to go out about three weeks ago

Bob Carlson
    Participant
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

Really…Thanks for the info Tom!

Guess we will watch and see if they are “all” done……because once they reach the walleye quota all other species are done also

big_g
    Participant
    Isle, MN

thank god, now they won’t starve to death.

steve-fellegy
    Participant
    Resides on the North Shores of Mille Lacs--guiding on Farm Island these days

Fair amount of “subsistence” fishing going on around Myr Mar/north Garrison access last night/this morning. Numerous tubs of fish….quota ten days ago/last week? lol

They do or say that every year. And then they keep netting for days and even weeks. But who’s counting?

puddlepounder
    Participant

There hasn’t been activity that I have seen down here on the south end. Its the trouble makers on the north end that are causing all the trouble

steve-fellegy
    Participant
    Resides on the North Shores of Mille Lacs--guiding on Farm Island these days

There hasn’t been activity that I have seen down here on the south end. Its the trouble makers on the north end that are causing all the trouble

More nets in again last night over here.

sktrwx2200
    Participant

Now they are just going after the ones to dump in the woods. flame

Bob Carlson
    Participant

A number of vehcles at the Wealthwood Public access today! Small tent setup and nets and bins setting all over.

Must be netting perch?

denis wegner
    Participant

why would they net perch? when they can net walleyes and nobody is watching them

Bob Carlson
    Participant

why would they net perch? when they can net walleyes and nobody is watching them

I was kidding with the statement! walleyes in all the bins

mark-bruzek
    Participant
    Two Harbors, MN

I do not know the source but I was shown a pic of gut piles today dumped on the side of the road again at an intersection. Supposedly taken recently.
    Recent or not it is a disgrace and at move to throw it in our face.

Justin Laack
    Participant
    Austin,mn

Has there been any hard facts that they reached the quota the other week?? Hard to believe they would still be there if truly in fact they had reached it.. I would think the (Do Nothing Right) would be all over that one if they have reached it and are still netting.. Just would like some true facts

puddlepounder
    Participant

The hard fact is I work with a mille lacs band member. His son went up on Friday April 17, he called and said that they couldn’t get the permit for spearing that night because the quota was filled. I have been on vacation lately and haven’t talked to my coworker, when I do, I will post a response. A guess would be that they are Wisconsin bands and they have there own quota……..and that quota is, fill the nets until the day before white mans opener

Bob Carlson
    Participant

You are soooooooo correct!!!

Had there been a MN DNR official present yesterday, I would have spent more time and possible pictures would have been taken. As it was…I was out numbered

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

What does the DNR say when you guys call them to report this?

Justin Laack
    Participant
    Austin,mn

Thanks Tom, thats hard facts, sorry just didn’t know if it was a heard from so in so who heard it from this guy who heard it from somebody type deal. I’ve always said the Mille lacs band are decent they actually use the fish and give to elders, its the Wisconsin bands that rape the resources.

Joe
    Participant

BigWerm- this is what the DNR says when you ask them…. I e-mailed them yesterday questioning if the quota had been reached but yet eye witnesses are seeing tubs of walleyes and nets in the water still.

The response I received yesterday:

“That is a good question because the quota that the bands use to harvest walleye doesn’t include all the walleye they can harvest. What happens is that the bands take their allocation and divide it into two pieces. The biggest piece is what they use to limit their walleye catch during walleye spawning. But they set aside a small portion (1,000 lb this year) that can be used for walleye that are accidentally caught while netting perch. The perch fishing general occurs about two weeks after walleye fishing, and that is what is going on now.

We do not regulate any of the band’s fishing activities, but we do monitor portions of it.”

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

flame I wish I didn’t even ask… flame

Sartell Eye Guy
    Participant
    Sartell, MN

The Fox watching the hen house….and no one paying attention to the Fox. Despicable response by the DNR. Absolutely asinine.

Take the time to read the MNDNR “mission statement” and see how many areas they have FAILED. How anyone keeps their jobs is beyond me. We all “spend” WAY too much in state tax for funding these idiots to sit idly by and accept their bullish!t.

Joe, please post the email address of the person who responded to you so we can ALL ask which “portions” of indian harvest are “monitored”.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Joe, please post the email address of the person who responded to you so we can ALL ask which “portions” of indian harvest are “monitored”.

And then send the dnr reply you get to your local representative and ask them why these people still have state jobs.

Bob Carlson
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Sartell Eye Guy wrote:</div>

And then send the dnr reply you get to your local representative and ask them why these people still have state jobs.

This is great..Thanks

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

BigWerm- this is what the DNR says when you ask them…. I e-mailed them yesterday questioning if the quota had been reached but yet eye witnesses are seeing tubs of walleyes and nets in the water still.

The response I received yesterday:

“That is a good question because the quota that the bands use to harvest walleye doesn’t include all the walleye they can harvest. What happens is that the bands take their allocation and divide it into two pieces. The biggest piece is what they use to limit their walleye catch during walleye spawning. But they set aside a small portion (1,000 lb this year) that can be used for walleye that are accidentally caught while netting perch. The perch fishing general occurs about two weeks after walleye fishing, and that is what is going on now.

We do not regulate any of the band’s fishing activities, but we do monitor portions of it.”

Sad, just sad.

The answer to everyone’s question “How do these people still have state jobs?” Unfortunately due to the court ordered management plans it is not our DNR’s job to manage the netting so by not doing anything they are doing what they’re supposed to be doing… Which is what makes me sad.

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

Will…Who monitors it then? Is it the Tribe’s (tribal officials…) job to self-monitor it thus the honor system? If so, that’s not so good…

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Will…Who monitors it then? Is it the Tribe’s (tribal officials…) job to self-monitor it thus the honor system? If so, that’s not so good…

As I understand it is solely the Great Lakes Indian Fisheries and Wildlife Commission (http://www.glifwc.org/) who is responsible for managing the netting… This includes keeping track of the quotas, issuing permits, etc.

Not quite the honor system, but it’s also not too much of a stretch to wonder if it really is a case where the fox is watching the hen house.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.