Quickie Mille Lacs Report – 6/27

• Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

After being away since opener I finally had a day to get out and start checking my basin spots on the pond.

Long story short one of my toughest days over the past several years getting the big girls to eat the in the way that I wanted. Fished 6 different trolling areas that I like in mid-June and found decent to good sign in 3 of the 6; however, by the time we found them the flat calm and bright sun had left them very tight lipped. We did have a couple bumps with fish swimming up behind the baits that were noticeable on the leadcore lines but nothing that committed fully. We finally called uncle and moved over to fish the edges of a few flats with smaller perch colored baits and quickly had consistent action catching small eyes and big perch with one 18″ eye and another good fish that came unbuttoned.

Just before evening we found a big school that had slid up onto the top edge of a flat and decided to abandon the trolling and pitch jigging raps… Which was a pretty good idea. Here’s a quick pic of Matt “aka Big Gill” with his first jigging rap eye and our big fish for the trip.

Attachments:
    1. photo.jpg

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

Great report Will, glad to know I wasn’t the only one to struggle out there recently.

biggill
    Participant
    East Bethel, MN

Thanks again Will. Even though we didn’t find any real success on lead core, I really learned a lot. I was never sure exactly what cranks to pull as far as colors and size.

I even went out and bought some Salmos today. I’m gonna try them on ripple this weekend.

The question of the day was, “during a slow day of fishing like today, are you more determined to stay til the end or do you leave early?”

Personally, for me, there’s a third option. I always come back at a later date more determined.

I’ll be back!

joshkral
    Participant

I went up last weekend and got a 16 incher within 2 minutes on a tdd11. I kept the boat in gear, cracked a beer and watched the arches on the graph. I started texting all of my fishing buddies thinking of how great this is going to be and went the next 9 hours with only a rock bass. I fished the flats the rest of the weekend. The bigger fish all bit within the first couple hours, after 11 or so it was a dink fest.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.