Premium Gas

• smithkeith
    Waterloo, Iowa

I have always run 87 octane gas without ethanol in my motor. Lately several of my friends started running 92 Premium in their motors. Is it really necessary to run Premium gas?

bassn7
    Bruce,WI

No but most places only have non ethanol gas in premium except cenex around here.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Many people wrongly believe that preimum = no ethanol added. All automotive gas in MN has ethanol if it’s for on-road use. Or premium = better quality. Which is laughable.

Not only is it unnecessary to run preimum, it does not, as many believe, increase performance or HP. Just because 60s muscle cars needed premium doesn’t mean your 2000s outboard does. Most people have no idea what the increased octane in premium fuel does or why an engine would need it.

Grouse

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

the manual for my 2002 225 opti says to run 87 octane

Mocha
    Park Rapids

Many people wrongly believe that preimum = no ethanol added. All automotive gas in MN has ethanol if it’s for on-road use. Or premium = better quality. Which is laughable.

Not only is it unnecessary to run preimum, it does not, as many believe, increase performance or HP. Just because 60s muscle cars needed premium doesn’t mean your 2000s outboard does. Most people have no idea what the increased octane in premium fuel does or why an engine would need it.

Grouse

Not All!

The premium in our area, north central, of MN says “Non-ethanol” 100% pure gasoline. This is what I run in all my motors except my vehicles.

trytoofish
    sw Mn.

if it says on the pump “non-oxygenated” its non-ethanol. after some issues with my Mercury verado I was told by the dealer to only run non ethanol. which in most cases is 91 octane or better, But you need to ask or see the sticker stating “non-oxygenated” to be sure. every once in a while I will see a 87 octane that is “non-oxygenated” but locally they are few!

692fisherman
    champlin mn

its a ethanol thing …….. ususlly the only to get non ethanol gas is to buy non-oxygenated gas……. I put a new power head on last summer and believe that ethanol had “something” to do with it

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

Grouse

Incorrect…Think before you type…

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>TheFamousGrouse wrote:</div>

Grouse

Not All!

The premium in our area, north central, of MN says “Non-ethanol” 100% pure gasoline. This is what I run in all my motors except my vehicles.

You are correct and that’s the misconception I’m talking about.

It is what the pump says it is. If it says non-oxygenated, then it is.

But just because it says “premium” and has an octane rating higher than 87 doesn’t automatically mean non-ox, which is what many are now assuming. Read the fine print because it most probably contains ethanol like all the other on-road gasoline in MN.

Higher octane fuels are required because of engine design. Just dumping higher octane fuel in an engine does not automatically get you anything unless you need something that premium has. Most people have no idea what the increased octane in premium fuel does or why an engine would need it.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I run premium non-eth in my quads and lawn mowers because the gas may sit for a while and pure gas doesn’t break down as fast as oxy gas. All the premium by my cabin in NE Wis is non oxy.
    I also run premium anything in my truck because it calls for it for maximum performance.
    I run 87 in my boat.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I run premium non-eth in my quads and lawn mowers because the gas may sit for a while and pure gas doesn’t break down as fast as oxy gas. All the premium by my cabin in NE Wis is non oxy.
    I also run premium anything in my truck because it calls for it for maximum performance.
    I run 87 in my boat.

Suzuki, just FYI the QuickTrips over our way in the East metro, including the new one just north of Menards in Oakdale have non-ox available at every pump. Since I’m at that Menards or the Fleet in Oakdale about once a week, it’s nice to have a non-ox gas supply that’s not out of my way.

I buy non-ox for the wheeler and for my 2-stroke small engines because that gas tends to sit for 1-2 months. I have noticed that newer Stihl power equipment is incredibly sensitive to fuel issues, so it’s become a practical necessity. For whatever reason, the older Stihl stuff will burn anything including rotgut Bourbon.

Grouse

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Good to know. Thanks.

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

Wow…Thats a cool tool carroll58. Seems to me that this statement earlier in the post was incorrect ( Many people wrongly believe that preimum = no ethanol added. All automotive gas in MN has ethanol if it’s for on-road use….)

Grant Breems
    Coon Rapids,MN

Everything I own from the weed whip to my big outboard run non-oxy, Nothing!! else will ever go in them

mr. pike

The higher the octane rating the slower the fuel detonates. Mostly for higher compression applications.

Paul Heise
    River Falls, Wi

Everything I own from the weed whip to my big outboard run non-oxy, Nothing!! else will ever go in them

Same here! Except the car and truck which are designed for ethanol fuel. Ethanol fuels tend to burn hotter and can cause damage over time to small engines that weren’t designed for it.

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

X2

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.