Pool 16 report

• hnd

finally got an afternoon to get out and test out my new to me rig.

found a spot were slack water met fast moving water with alot of rocks and caught 4 fish 23-27″ in about 3 hours. we went through about a dozen jigs a piece to get them. also caught a few whitebass and 1 nice eater eye.

i’ll be honest, i’ve caught many numbers of walleye/sauger out of p16 as its my home pool and occasionally had a few slot walleyes but never a day like that. its my first boat and all the rides i’ve bummed with others over the years has allowed me to put that knowledge to use and make it happen.

gary d
    cordova,il

Glad you found the spot. It always nice to get out and fish. I’m going to try and get out myself on a few wingdams for some bluegills. For me I hope the river current slow down some more, it just makes it easier to fish. Come on ice!!!

hnd

we found 3 things were in the vicinity of our fish. Rock, slow moving water meeting fast moving water. on our way to do some trolling we found a similar spot and it looked like it had fish on it.

we were pitching jigs and moxi’s.

i imagine the river is down enough to see the wingdams again and i’d work the edges of them.

hnd

haven’t been able to get back into the boat and fish the river but have been able to hit a few of my favorite shore spots near the mouth of the rock river and have found the fish starting to stack up there. caught 3 nice eaters in a bout an hour last night with reports that guys are regularly catching some limits each time out. water is a little higher than i’d like but we are still finding fish. hoping to get the boat out this week sometime and hit some wingdams and see what kind of action is going on up in the slough.

water temps 54

hnd

here are some pics of the original post. rrreallly bright out. )

hnd

beautiful saturday to get out. but not a walleye day. calm waters, bright sky, warm weather.

started off hot in sylvan slough picking up fish regularly. not much for the box. caught a 16″. guys started making trolling runs about 1/2 hour after we got there. i only saw one guy catch a 12″ fish. too much grass in the water. after a good bit without a bite, we trolled downstream to no avail and went up into the other finger of the slough. caught a few shorts but it was time to head in. friends showed up as we were about to leave. they caught a 16 and 17″ eye and sauger and a bunch of shorts.

reports were DNR was shocking wed or thurs and there was alot of fish coming up. its possible that that shut them off for a few days. i don’t know. I may make a new topic re: that subject

bigger fish i imagine are still downstream.

hnd

i’m talking to myself but a good buddy got out right before the cold weather and spent a day last thurs and knocked out a limit of eaters. no slots. lots of cigars. stayed close to seams to get the good fish. in slower moving water the whites and drum were active.

limit of 14-19″ mostly saugers.

spots : wingdams and slough.

gary d
    cordova,il

Your not talking to yourself H. I read your reports and sit wishing I could get out. Between house,yard duties and grand kids it just takes to much time. I will be looking for ice soon. SMILE-SMILE!!!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.