Perch Recipes

• mbenson
    Participant
    Minocqua, WI

Grind or crush Ritz crackers to a fine powder, add pepper to taste. Combine 1 or two eggs and and a 1/2 cup of milk to make an egg wash. Dip dried fillets into egg wash and coat with crackers, then fry. Salt to taste and enjoy!!! Simple food prepared with care!!! I like to salt and squeeze lemon on my fillets. Others like tartar, I don’t like to cover up the best tasting fish of the year!!!

Mark

biggill
    Participant
    East Bethel, MN

Same as walleye for me. BK now has me using Sturdywheat. Good stuff.

Walleye/perch are about 5-6 on my list of favorite fish. They are typically breaded or over seasoned to the point that the flavor of the fish is completely lost. Not a bad thing but just the way it is.

joc
    Participant
    Western and Central, NY

1) Take a bag partially filled with flour. Place fillets in bag and shake until all fillets have a coating (dusting) of flour on them. Fry in cast iron frying pan with about 3/8″ of peanut oil. Plain and Simple and nothing mask the the taste of the Perch. The more coating you use the more you mask the taste of the perch, the flour is just to help the fillets to brown.

smokinbobo
    Participant
    Monticello / Guthrie, MN

biggill said:

“Walleye/perch are about 5-6 on my list of favorite fish. They are typically breaded or over seasoned to the point that the flavor of the fish is completely lost. Not a bad thing but just the way it is.

Just for kicks, what are #1 through #4 for you?

Tyler Schaefer
    Participant
    Southern Minnesota

For ice fishing for me its 1 perch 2 Northern 3 sunfish 4 crappie 5 walleye just because i dont catch many eyes on ice. I like all fish. But i love summer canadian eyes! For summer i have a different order!

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

1) Take a bag partially filled with flour. Place fillets in bag and shake until all fillets have a coating (dusting) of flour on them. Fry in cast iron frying pan with about 3/8″ of peanut oil. Plain and Simple and nothing mask the the taste of the Perch. The more coating you use the more you mask the taste of the perch, the flour is just to help the fillets to brown.

x2. Super simple without any spices for me. Just salt and pepper. That perch flavor is delicate and my #1 favorite eating fish.

biggill
    Participant
    East Bethel, MN

biggill said:

“Walleye/perch are about 5-6 on my list of favorite fish. They are typically breaded or over seasoned to the point that the flavor of the fish is completely lost. Not a bad thing but just the way it is.

Just for kicks, what are #1 through #4 for you?

1. Lake trout
    2. Bluegill
    3. Pacific salmon
    4. Steelhead

I can probably come up with a few more too. I’ve never tried whitefish other than smoked. I’d love to try it. I also like redfish and snapper. I figured I’d at least list 4 MN fish I like though.

Edit

I’d like to add northern pike to that list.

gimp
    Participant

Flower, salt, pepper, fried in butter flavored Crisco. Serve with Hash Brown Potato and maybe a little lemon juice for the fish.(IMO if you need tarter sauce then don’t eat the fish.

Wyatt veith
    Participant

Take your fish rub it in smashed up eggs ( no shell) then rub it in flower finally smother it in a ton of tiny bits of sateen crackers.

Geerdes
    Participant
    Brandon, SD 57005

Try boiling 3/4 x 3/4 inch chunks in a mixture of 3 cups of water to 1 cup of sugar for about 3 minutes. Put in fridge and cool. After cool add your favorite cocktail sauce and put mixture on your favorite crackers. Poor man’s perch cocktail. Otherwise just use damp fillets and shake in Mies (simple light breading made in Wisconsin). Can’t go wrong anyway you eat them. Enjoy!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.