PB Crappie and some eyes at a friends gravel pit

• ajaikens31
    Big Rapids, Michigan

I was fishing a friends gravel pit yesterday where I have caught nice walleyes and occasionally the decent crappie. I decided to throw something different and put on a 1/4 ounce vmc moon eye jig with a pink and white 3.25″ b fishn paddle tail. I caught a nice 20″ eye and a few minutes later get a bite, set the hook, and it goes straight to the surface and all I can see is a big mouth. If I hadn’t known that no largies had ever been stocked that’s what I would’ve thought it was. I get it to shore and it’s the biggest crappie I’ve ever seen with a close to 4″ bait nowhere to be seen! Now fish always seem bigger than they are and it ended up being only 14″ on a tape but still a pb! Ended up with a 24 and 26 eye which are pretty normal out of there. Anyways, good night of fishing and a super fun bait to catch a big crappie on!

Attachments:
    1. image211.jpg

2. image311.jpg

3. image112.jpg

4. image310.jpg

5. image210.jpg

6. image111.jpg

ajaikens31
    Big Rapids, Michigan

Oops did not mean to add doubles of each picture, sorry!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Very nice.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Something about big crappies, they are not shy about hitting big baits, in the fall particularly. Congrats. Sounds like a nice gravel pit.

Kurt Turner
    Kasson, MN

A gravel pit? Wow, sounds like you found a real gem there. Coordinates, please? Pretty please? j/k

Very nice, indeed!

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Awesome! Sounds like a great place to come back and explore in the winter.

ajaikens31
    Big Rapids, Michigan

I’ve been thinking about it since last winter but I’m not sure how safe the ice is… I would love to try it for the fishing and for getting depths to see what areas to target in the summer. I guess I’ll have to trust my spud bar and my striker suit!

Bryan Myers

Congrats on the PB crappie that’s a dandy! It’s amazing the size baits those big crappies will take down if given the opportunity.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.