Pancam

• Captainpaddlefoot
    Participant
    Green Bay

Who else is thinking of getting one?

What are you going to use for a monitor?

How are you going to mount it.

Is the 50 foot cable enough?

I was thinking about using my ipad.
    Getting an Otter waterproof case.
    Mounting with a ram mount and clamping it to the handle of my Hummingbird 55.
    Using, if available, a camera with 75 foot cable.
    I fish deep water for whitefish and 50 might be short.

What is anybody else thinking about?

Thanks, Doug

bsully23
    Participant
    Pittsville, WI

I’d love to get one & pair it with a RT-9. Do they read depth, temp, & direction?

Captainpaddlefoot
    Participant
    Green Bay

I don’t know.

I would like to know that too!

Alex Sharrow
    Participant
    adirondack park upstate ny

if you go to your play store and download the app it should have the menu in there or research it better there is a video on youtube about the pancam video

bsully23
    Participant
    Pittsville, WI

Already have…… I’ve watched just about every youtube video & read a lot of info for it & none state whether or not it has those features. I just downloaded the app & that basically shows or says nothing, other than the basic stuff that everyone knows or gets by watching Ice forces 3 minute video. I looked at the guide on Marcums website says nothing, they don’t have a owners manual available for download on their site either. So it seems other than personally using the system a person is still cluesless as to whether it can read depth, temp, or direction. Although based on its price I am going to say it can’t.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

@bsully23

I’d love to get one & pair it with a RT-9. Do they read depth, temp, & direction?

I didn’t know the answer to this myself so I checked in with MarCum to get the answer. Yes, the pancam can transmit depth, temp and direction info along with the video if you’ve connected the Pancam to a camera system that has depth, temp and direction capabilities. For example, the VS 625 and VS 825 would have this functionality. However, a stand alone Pancam unit doesn’t have depth, temp and direction capability of its own so that info won’t be transmitted to your phone / tablet.

I hope this helps.

bsully23
    Participant
    Pittsville, WI

Thank you James! That helped out big time.

wgorby
    Participant
    Greenville, Michigan

Just picked up a Marcum Pancam yesterday…played a little with it last night. This thing is very cool….super easy to setup, the directions are 1page long. The app works as it should, turning the light on (dimable), rotating the camera all done via the touchscreen on my phone. Plus you can record video/take pics and share them via your cell service instantly if you want. Looking forward to using it this winter, i’m sure i will learn alot on how fish react to me presentations.

Looked into a case for my phone/tablet…there is a company called Overboard that makes some pretty cool “bags/cases”. They come with lanyards and you can use your device while in the “bag/case”. And they float!!

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

Anyone know the format the video records in? I have the vexilar fishphone and have had a lot of fun with it. Unfortunately it records in a format that none of my video editors recognize. (

I’ve tried converting software but that is a major pita

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Anyone know the format the video records in? I have the vexilar fishphone and have had a lot of fun with it. Unfortunately it records in a format that none of my video editors recognize. (

I’ve tried converting software but that is a major pita

That’s a good question. I know on a Samsung S3 / S4 it is recorded as an .avi file which would likely need to be converted prior to editing in FCP or Premiere.

I can’t answer the format question for iOS so I shot off an email to MarCum CS to get an answer as I’m thinking Apple devices might record in a different format. As soon as I get any info I’ll be sure to share it.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I can’t answer the format question for iOS so I shot off an email to MarCum CS to get an answer as I’m thinking Apple devices might record in a different format. As soon as I get any info I’ll be sure to share it.

@dtro

MarCum CS says the recording format on iOS is .mov which is definitely editing software friendly.

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

Thanks for the info.

yeah, I suspected .avi in Android since the Pancam app UI seems very similar to the vex.

I’ve found .avi very frustrating to work with when doing editing. Even after converting it seems to be buggy and very codec sensitive. I think MP4 would be a much better file format to work with and was hoping maybe to try out a new toy this year. )

Bummer

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I’ve found .avi very frustrating to work with when doing editing.

We’ve found the same on this end. I’d like to see the recording done as a .mov in Android as well. Versa, the parent company of Marcum, owns other products (Vio-Hd) that are switchable between mp4 and .mov so they have the technology to implement a change like this.

Nick Kosanda
    Participant

Do you only have to have wifi or does it run off of your cell service too? Just wondering cause a lot of the places I fish have poor cell service.

Wharf Rat
    Participant
    Mahtomedi

On cable length, I think 50 feet is long enough, but perhaps others have had better luck than I have in deep water.

I have an LX9 and when using the camera in anything over 15 feet it is really hard to see anything. I fish mostly metro lakes that have relatively good water clarity, but with thicker ice and snow cover there is not enough light penetration to be able to see anything deeper than 15 feet. Early in the season and/or in really clear water it might be better but for most of the lakes I fish it’s not very good.

wgorby
    Participant
    Greenville, Michigan

Anyone else have issues with the latest pancam app update? I cant access my videos thru the app unless its connected to the pancams wifi signal…..also the videos are no longer stored in androids gallery, so sharing them is not possible. Just me?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.