P4 Son Ike cranks it up!

• scott-k
    Participant
    Red Wing

My son Ike says the Walleye smack down on Sunday morning on Lake Pepin was fun.
    Anytime a dad and son can go out and bag 12 walleyes from 16 to 19 inches that is definitely an example of fun.
    Ike ran the tiller, cranked in fish, marked waypoints, netted fish, and bandaged my leg when a treble poked through my leg. He even got in a nap.
    Yes, I am rolling in the sheer joy of taking him out and catching fish. He said, “Dad, this is fun when we catch them.”
    What he doesn’t realize is that the days we don’t catch fish are equally special to me.
    Our stats:
    Most fish came in 9 to 11 fow
    The whole crank was swallowed nearly ever fish: eating it, not swiping at it.
    Wind blown shoreline was key
    Blue color combos were best…tried greens, natural colors with little luck.
    Leadcore was our tool
    2.5 to 2.7 gps
    Interesting that when I hand-held a rod and pulled it foward a few times, it would get hit.
    Looking forward to more fishing with my son! Oh yeah, he got a buck for the biggest…

Attachments:
    1. image47.jpg

2. image48.jpg

3. image46.jpg

flanders51
    Participant

Glad to hear it! I was out there with my three-year-old on Sunday as well. He reeled in his first walleye and watched me reel in another nice one in about 40 minutes of playing around. It was a family trip so the wife wasn’t too into fighting the rollers for very long. I didn’t use leadcore, but I did have good luck trolling both leadcore and long-lining last Friday.

shockers
    Participant
    Rochester

Awesome report, Scott! It’s always a bit more fun when you’re catching them with your kids! My son and I tried Pepin last week. Not much luck, but a great time. Thanks for the report and details. And congrats on the fish.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.