One Last Trip?

• biggill
    Participant
    East Bethel, MN

With the baby here I’d doesn’t look like I’ll be able to make it back up for one more trip this year. That is if momma doesn’t kick me out for a night before the end of the month. Doubt that’ll happen.

I was hoping to live vicariously thru @jamesholst because I figured he’d make one more trip. You gonna make it back up one more time?

I remember you also talking about a trip to Stannard Rock. After doing some online research, I think I’m gonna make that a goal for 2015.

I hope he new site hasn’t put too much of a damper on your lake trout fishing this year.

Also looking forward to another cold winter to get on some Lake Superior ice again!

mark-bruzek
    Participant
    Two Harbors, MN

Roughly in the same boat as you… No pun intended.
    Picked this up a couple weeks ago and did not make it up the shore before laker closed so I winterized her last weekend.
    I will be slipping it at Knife River so keep in touch.

Attachments:
    1. DSCN0275.jpg

biggill
    Participant
    East Bethel, MN

That is sweet! You know, lakers are still open in MI waters.

Will keep in touch for sure.

mark-bruzek
    Participant
    Two Harbors, MN

Yeah I know. But I want to know it is a solid operating machine before I make the run IR.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I was hoping to live vicariously thru @jamesholst because I figured he’d make one more trip. You gonna make it back up one more time?

@mwodziak

I was up out of Grand Portage on the 23 – 25 Sept and we had a fantastic trip. I’ve just been so flippin’ busy I haven’t had a chance to keep up with sharing info here online – horrible excuse, I know. I think we had 22 or 24 fish over 20# (my memory lets me down) with the largest fish weighing in at 27#. We also had a nice run of salmon and steelhead as well which was a nice bonus as those salmon were unbelievably good on the grill after a long day on the water.

This last trip was yet another instance where my spoon obsession paid off as we found one hot color that produced 75% of our fish while my Jim’s Flashback favorites produced poorly. I picked up the two spoons in the photo attached at Marine General on my way north and that proved to be a very good move as the fish basically wore the paint off them over the course of three days. Of course after I buy up dozens of this particular style spoon the fish will go cold on them as well… or that’s what seems to happen every time I stock up on the spoon that was hot on the previous trip.

There’s an outside chance I’ll be able to make it up late this month but I’ve got a lot of work to pound out if that’s going to happen. I’m keeping my fingers crossed as I would love to get in one last Superior trip before switching over to ice.

Attachments:
    1. spoons.jpg

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Roughly in the same boat as you… No pun intended.
    Picked this up a couple weeks ago and did not make it up the shore before laker closed so I winterized her last weekend.
    I will be slipping it at Knife River so keep in touch.

Congrats on the new rig, Mark.

biggill
    Participant
    East Bethel, MN

Funny, I was up on 9/22 and while we caught a ton of fish, nothing over 10#. Problem was that we ran into som rough water and had a real adventure on our way back to the marina. We ran into some 10′ waves on the way back.

I also know that the weather was phenomenal when you were up. I’m jealous.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

@mwodziak

We’re heading up for one last go of it later today! I should have a report to share upon my return.

biggill
    Participant
    East Bethel, MN

Good luck. I hope the lake lays down for ya.

Can’t wait to see the pics.

mbenson
    Participant
    Minocqua, WI

Good luck. I hope the lake lays down for ya.

It doesn’t look like it will be pleasant wind-wise the next couple of days on WGN weather. But a look at windalert.com, makes it look like if you can get past Thurs. you could be good. A strong NW wind tomorrow, then the wind looks to switch and lay down to more manageable speeds.
    Two Harbors http://windalert.com/spot/83706
    Grand Marais http://windalert.com/spot/18376

Mark

Tim Bossert
    Participant
    Cochrane, WI

James, I know this is a post from last year, but did you make that late October trip? My dad and I just bought a older 190 Warrior that is all set for big water. Riggers, divers, flashers/flies, spoons, j-plugs, you name it. I am itching bad to hit Superior this weekend as the weather looks perfect. I have fished Lake Michigan a few times, but never Superior.

If you were me, where could I go to at least get in on some action? I know jigging picks up this time of year as well and wouldn’t mind using the electric here and there as well.

Thanks in advance of anything you can offer in the form of some quick advice.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I’d be fishing the Wisconsin coast hoping to pick up a vagrant king. Cohos maybe are in the area now too.

The fish could be anywhere in the water column but I think I’d be looking to fish high, so boards and dipsys should do the trick, and lead line is another option. When we were up in late September the trout were high enough to hit 4 and 6 colors of lead and the one salmon that hit came on lead too. The water has cooled since then so lead is likely a solid option.

biggill
    Participant
    East Bethel, MN

Here’s a few pics from my last trip this year. Biggest was 38″.

Attachments:
    1. image36.jpeg

2. image35.jpeg

3. image34.jpeg

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.