On Boat and at Home Bait Tank

• willowcatfish
    Aurora, Illinios

Hi everyone,

Now that I am getting more and more into flathead fishing, and trying to keep my baits as healthy as possible, I have a number of questions surrounding my care for baits.

I am currently using a 70qt. coleman cooler with a 12 volt Marine Metal aerator on it. My most used baits are Bluegills, and I just started using Bulleads. Man those Bullies Do Not Quit!!!

Many things I have read, say to “NOT” use a square cooler, because the baitfish will bang their noses up against the corners and kill themselves.

Was wondering what all of you use for an onboard bait tank, and what size to keep baits healthy? Do you recommend something larger for 4-8 hour trips.

Also, I have been considering keeping a tank at home in case I can’t catch enough bait a day before a trip. AT THE MOST, I’m thinking of keeping around 30 baits in the tank. I live in Illinois, so we can’t get bullheads at bait shops. I have to catch them on my own.

Just checking to see if you guys keep bait tanks at home, and for 30 baitfish(Bluegills, and Bullheads) what would be a good size tank to not overcrowd fish, and to keep them alive.

Lastly, how long can I keep these fish alive and healthy for fishing before they begin to go bad.

Thanks a million everyone! I greatly appreciate any and all advice and info!

Have a great week!

Ray

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’m guessing you don’t have well water?

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

First off, bubblers SUCK.

For the last two years i’ve had the best bait aeration system i could ask for.

Bilge Pump Spray Bar and Livewell Timer.
    Timer runs the spray bar for 30 seconds, any interval between constant and 5 minutes. I set mine to 3-5 minutes depending on how much bait i have.

HOT weather i use a 5-day cooler. Average temps – 5 gallon bucket

As an example, labor day weekend on the croix. Saturday morning i buy a dozen 10″ sucker minnows from Beanies. Put them in a 5 gallon bucket. Ran my bilge spray bar 30 seconds every 3 minutes. Them suckers stayed alive until i burnt through them all sunday afternoon, but before i ran out i added 8 sunfish to the bucket too. They stayed alive in an uninsulated 5 gallon bucket!! Without this spray bar they would have all been dead within 15 minutes guaranteed. WIth a bubbler you would have over half dead within an hour.

Seriously. This is the BEST aeration system for BIG BAIT. Use your bubbler for fatheads.

Attachments:
    1. Aerator.png

2. timer.png

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Timer is at Cabelas for $40-50
    Bilge Aeration system at FF for around $30-50

Cost of lively bait…PRICELESS

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Suckers like to bang there snozes, but for a portable, in your boat tank I use a cooler on wheels. Works good for bank fishing as well. I’ll take 25 to 30 bullies out per trip and the 10 or so left over last over the weekend as long as it’s not too hot out.

I dumped the 12v system a while back because I was going through so many units. Went to a inverter (300 w which is plenty) and run two fish aquarium bubblers. I’m on at least 3 (maybe 4) years on the one without any trouble. I drilled holes in the cooler and run the tubing through so the lid closes.

I’m a fan of horizontal chest style freezers. They can be picked up and converted for next to nothing.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I’m a fan of horizontal chest style freezers. They can be picked up and converted for next to nothing.

To finish where I left off….

I bought a “pond” pump at FF with a spray bar for the freezer tank. Put a 2″ milk tank valve in the bottom for draining. Might be a bit over kill for 30 fish. I’ve kept up to 300 living until I could use them.

I do agree with FBRM though, spray bars are better to keep fish alive.

willowcatfish
    Aurora, Illinios

Thanks much guys! I am going to look at some of the spray bar pumps out there. Greatly appreciate the help, and you guys all have a great rest of your flathead seasons.!

Ray

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.