Officially Ready For Ice

• Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

I was talking with a buddy the other day, and he mentioned, “Who are these people that have their gear 100% locked-in, reels re-spooled, ready to go no matter when ice hits?” Well, with the exception of this year, it’s usually me. I procrastinate like the next person, but the annual re-spooling ritual does something to get my mind right when it comes to ice. It’s probably because that’s when I go through all the tackle, look to replace what needs replacing, and get rid of some of the old/worn stuff.

Every year I’m reminded of how much faster it is to use a line-stripper like the one pictured, or a spool on a cordless drill…anything to get that line off quicker! The spooling up is pretty quick, but hand unwinding line is for the birds! I was able to re-spool 12 rods in just under 45 minutes, and way faster than I had anticipated. Of course there was some re-taping of reels that had worked loose, the occasional knot that wouldn’t cooperate, and of course some self-induced mishaps.

Either way, it’s what gets me in gear for the upcoming season, and I’m ashamed to admit it took so long. Like Adam Rasmussen’s report said, it’s been forever since I can remember deer season flirting with ice season!

Joel

Attachments:
    1. 20141123_210713.jpg

2. 20141123_215625.jpg

Andy Fiolka
    Boise, Idaho

You are a couple weeks late! smash

PikeFishman
    St. Paul, MN

Joel – how long do you hold onto line before tossing the spool? I have a spool of 5lb test from last year I’m wondering if I should tos or use this year.

Cush
    east central Wisconsin

I’m happy to say that I’m 100% ready for this ice fishing season. This will mark my second year of ice fishing in Wisconsin and first generation in my family. watching IDO and the team has gave me inspiration to fish harder, stronger, smarter( haha). It has grown to be a huge hobby of mine. Got a xt650 cottage, new Thorne Bros noodle rod, marcum tech vx1 and strikemaster power auger! I like to call it my investments that will definitely last a life time.

Checked my usual summer fishing lake last week Saturday and was only 1 inch. gave it two days! and was almost 4in. got out and punched a few holes had a great time with friends and family. with the warm weather were seeing uper 40. Now got to wait til it cools down again before its safe to get out.

Attachments:
    1. 22.jpg

2. otter.jpg

3. 32.jpg

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Joel – how long do you hold onto line before tossing the spool? I have a spool of 5lb test from last year I’m wondering if I should tos or use this year.

You should be good to go. I’ve used spools from several years ago, but I always check the line. Old line, feels, well, old. Gritty almost, with edges. Pull some between your fingers and you can feel the unevenness, almost bumpiness. That’s usually paired with at least some amount of memory to the line. If it’s tighter than a corkscrew when it comes off the spool, you’ll know it’s time to get rid of it. Especially with the smaller spools we’re used to using for our ice-reels, this can be as big a problem as any when it comes to line.

Good luck!

Joel

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

I’m happy to say that I’m 100% ready for this ice fishing season. This will mark my second year of ice fishing in Wisconsin and first generation in my family. watching IDO and the team has gave me inspiration to fish harder, stronger, smarter( haha). It has grown to be a huge hobby of mine. Got a xt650 cottage, new Thorne Bros noodle rod, marcum tech vx1 and strikemaster power auger! I like to call it my investments that will definitely last a life time.

Checked my usual summer fishing lake last week Saturday and was only 1 inch. gave it two days! and was almost 4in. got out and punched a few holes had a great time with friends and family. with the warm weather were seeing uper 40. Now got to wait til it cools down again before its safe to get out.

Nice gills Carlos! Great to see you’re getting out. Lots of ice out there to be had. Looking for my fix soon!

Joel

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

You are a couple weeks late! smash

Not by choice Andy, I can assure you that. I think the old adage “better late than never,” applies well here. Good to see you’ve been getting out fishing.

Joel

scmelik
    South Dakota

Joel buddy you are never going to make it through the year with that little amount of line. Call Sufix ASAP and get at least a dozen more spools on order LOL.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Yeah I’ve been known to over order, but a few of those spools are tip up line too.

Just noticed some “daytime” cold relief stuff in the picture that Brettingen and I were eating like candy at the end of last season. It was a long one. This one looks longer! Extensions by January?

Joel

Wharf Rat
    Mahtomedi

Tonight I stopped at Fleet Farm to stock up on some ice fishing gear and was shocked to find that they were just now putting it out on the shelves. I was unable to buy anything!!!
    I’m happy to say that I am way ahead of them in being ready for ice season. I’ve already been on the ice three times and cannot wait to go out again.

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

You’re still a step ahead of me Joel. I have not pulled my gear out yet but hope to be able to pack up the deer gear and get ready to fish again soon.
    Can’t wait to see some reports.

Dave

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Interesting Joel… I love the thought of pulling out the gear and getting things ready for the hard water.. I actually picked up some new ice tackle from VMC this year and I am excited to give it a try !!

I have been pretty silent so far this year as I know there has been ice fishermen on the ice in my area.. Putting the last of some home remodeling to work so I should be finished up in a couple weeks !!

I look forward to seeing you on the ice someplace this year !!!

Happy Thanksgiving to you and all the IDO group !!

Fisherpaul

Joel, being newer to Ice fishing your second picture is killing me. I hope to amass that many rods and reels some day. Or at least half that. Especially if they are TUCR’s like that. Jealous?? Heck Yeah! LOL

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Joel, being newer to Ice fishing your second picture is killing me. I hope to amass that many rods and reels some day. Or at least half that. Especially if they are TUCR’s like that. Jealous?? Heck Yeah! LOL

You shouldn’t be, it’s just more to respool and then carry around on the ice! I like having a couple of pre-rigged options at the ready, with the right rod to fish each bait I’m trying to present. There’s some 15-20 year old rods mixed in there too, so I try to do my best to take care of them and continue to use the ones I really like. I usually end up being the guy that outfits friends and family too, so many of those rods get used by folks other than myself. I do my best to keep them ready and waiting for the kids too if they want to fish. I guess, long story short, they’re a collection of rods over a long period, and rather than having a pile of rods, I’d much rather have just a few that really fit the presentations I like to fish the most!

JOel

elk_addict
    Northern IA/Lincoln Lakes Area

OMG, Joel. And my wife thinks I have a problem with too much fishing stuff. lol I would hate to half to carry your otter box very far. Glad to know I am not the only one with possibly more rods than I really need. wink

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Still have the boat ready, for one more trip (at least) I hope.
    Motorcycle isn’t put away, but it should be.
    Snowblower isn’t pulled out from the back shed.
    I’m still waiting for a late Indian Summer.
    Guess I am way behind…..

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.