no depth on plane

• Tim J
    Duluth, MN

I just installed new 999 HD SI on my new to me 2002 lund angler, see pic. Had it out yesterday for the first time and I don’t get a depth reading when on plane. Not really a fan of that. By looking at the picture, is there anything I can do to fix it?

Attachments:
    1. back-of-boat.jpg

Tim J
    Duluth, MN

Anyone know why the picture is sideways? Not that way when I view the file on my mac.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Should take a pic closer, and have a view of the underbelly with it.

Also what battery is powering the unit?

Bryan Myers

I can’t tell from the pic for sure but I don’t see a high speed transducer on it. Most boats require a high speed transducer and a “Y” cable to read at on plane speeds. You could try moving it up though because it looks a little low and if it’s too low it will also cause it not to read.

Dave Lozier
    Amherst, WI

The picture on your mac probably contains EXIF data which informs the program viewing it which way to rotate it. This is on my list of things to fix here. We have the PHP EXIF extension installed – just need to actually use it on the uploads.

Once fixed it will only apply to new uploads though.

Tony Hanson

I just installed new 999 HD SI on my new to me 2002 lund angler, see pic. Had it out yesterday for the first time and I don’t get a depth reading when on plane. Not really a fan of that. By looking at the picture, is there anything I can do to fix it?

Tony Hanson

Tony Hanson

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tim-juba wrote:</div>

eyekatcher
    Lakeville, MN

I have used an HDSI transducer on two different boats in the last several years.
    I have never resorted to using a “high speed transducer”.
    BUT
    placement is very critical on these units and will entail
    multiple movements of the transducer to acquire a placement that
    will satisfy both high speed and SI DI.
    It looks like from the pic your transducer is low.
    1) are you getting a rooster tail from the transducer?
    2) at what speed do you lose bottom?
    3) Are there rivets on the bottom of the boat in front of the transducer?
    4) is it level with the bottom of the boat?

FYI – my transducer is level and the left hand side (inboard at the widest point of the transducer) is even with the hull bottom and the right side is below bottom by a bit.

reddog

Agree with above poster. Ive had a Crestliner and now a skeeter and haven’t needed a auxilliary transducer to get speed readings. Hard to tell from your picture, but it looks too low and tilted too far down in the rear.

Set the seam of the transducer flush with the bottom of the leading edge of your hull deadrise and take a straightedge and makethe seam plane with the bottom of the hull. Avoid riveted areas .

Tim J
    Duluth, MN

Ok, I went ahead and installed a dual beam transducer to operate at high speed and connected with the Y-cable. Won’t water test it until Friday, but from looking at the two pictures, how is my transducer mounting job?

Made sure the high speed is above the SI ducer. The SI ducer is level with bottom of boat and the high speed is below it. My only concern is the intake screen interfering with SI to the left. Also checked motor trim position and I’ll be okay there. Any other concerns or tweaks I’ll need to make?

Attachments:
    1. ducer-1.jpg

2. ducer-2.jpg

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

I don’t want to hi-jack the thread, and really want to see what answer you get back…. as I have the same issues.

If I can add some questions, for answering after you get replies, why two transducers? I never read that anywhere when I was looking to buy nearly the same unit (899). Where is the Y connection, and does the unit pull info from both transducers automatically? Does the Dual beam improve the regular graph capabilities… as I am not totally impressed with that end of the unit’s performance vs an older Lowrance.

Again, … please address Tim’s questions first. I thought it best not to start a new thread.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

The parting line on the hdsi needs to be even with bottom of boat. I’d angle it down a little too.

Needs to be skimming the water on plane. Mine works great at 31 mph.

It’s wise to install the high speed anyway. I would have mounted it on the other side if the boat though.

Continue to tweak your hdsi until you get it figured out.

Safety disclaimer…. Do at your own risk, lean over back of boat when on plane and watch how the duecer rides in the water.

eyekatcher
    Lakeville, MN

Checked my HDSI transducer this weekend
    It reads bottom at 42 MPH
    ( top speed for my boat)

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

@tim-juba

What were your results?

I have same issues for my 597 on two boats and fear the cavitations on both sides of curreny rig will cause this to be unresolved for myself.

Tim J
    Duluth, MN

had the boat out this weekend and it worked great. Got a reading at top speed of 41 mph. SI is working well too with no obstructions. Only two issues that I think I can tweak yet:

1. MAJOR roostertail from the SI transducer, I don’t think its quite flush with bottom of the boat so I’m going to try moving it up a little more.

2. Had interference issues once I put my terrova in the water with the US2 and my 597 up front. Didn’t fuss with it too much because I was more concerned with catching fish, but I think I need to change which frequency I’m using on each unit?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.