new trailer laws for EVERYONE next summer

• sktrwx2200

jeez, What a pain. Can just see DNR siting at launches leaving tickets on your trailers. At least no fine for first year. Might take awhile to get the word out on this one.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Dang. You mean the 2012 sticker on my glove box cover wont work?!

steve-fellegy
    Resides on the North Shores of Mille Lacs--guiding on Farm Island these days

Sure, this can be viewed as well-intended as all the AIS laws…but!

So many of these well-intended laws are destined to have zero or next to zero positive results–especially when not managed well from the start.

The at the boat ramp inspection thing is fine I guess–but why spend the manpower at ramps on lakes that are already infested? Why not ONLY inspect the boaters entering lakes that are not infected yet? With limited manpower/$$ resources, why not ONLY concentrate on UNINFESTED water?

Who in MN. that has a boat/trailer license already does NOT know the AIS laws? Will this course change the awareness percentages enough to change the odds of spreading the stuff? How about $5 to add to inspections/wash-downs of boats ENTERING ONLY NON-INFESTED lakes instead of a course/decal thing like this one? Which scenario will have the best odds of success–if there is such a thing?

Prime example of how these law-makers/DNR waste effort/ time and of course millions of $$ on the AIS scenario? Week after week/day after day here at Mille Lacs (already infested with almost everything you can imagine), we see DNR wash-down/inspection teams sitting all day at ramps on the DOWN WIND SIDE OF THE LAKE. Yes, with 3-4 ft. waves rolling into unprotected ramps, no chance of a boat being launched etc., they set up and do NOTHING ALL DAY–while every boat on the lake is launching on the other side in calm water!!

And they/you wonder why the likes of me are on their case on many issues…LOL Amazing.

LOL and a kayaker/canoeist or paddle-boarder, who transport their craft on the roof of a vehicle is in transit? No trailer? Means no sticker/course work? See if the books cover that? Surely, if the laws cover the waders a bait trapper wears from one side of the road to another side of the road with a culvert running under/through the road, , this group of boaters will be scrutinized too, right? LOL

MOST or all of these laws will, sooner than later, be deemed either illegal, discriminating and in the end…unsuccessful regarding the “intent” of the AIS laws. That being to not “spread” AIS.

——————————————————————————–

Let me add that I surely can agree that the $5 and the 20-30 minutes is not a big deal in the big scope of things. That said, instead, I would gladly pay a HIGHER fee, knowing the $$ and the effort was spent with or at better odds of impacting the intent of these laws.

Reality is, if we all had to pay even $20 a year more toward common sense approaches to slow or stop the spread of AIS, it would not be a big deal–in the big scope of things. The cost of 2-3 crank baits or a few dozen crawlers or leeches is not the issue. The issue should and has to be–“how and what will work with the best bang for the buck and manpower used in the process”. And of course, maybe that cost and effort should or can be concentrating on how to kill the AIS versus stopping the spread–which seems almost impossible at best.

Leadership/sensible management of these AIS prevention costs and efforts is the big problem.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Just terrific. Now we have another damn sticker that expires every 3 years that we have to keep track of? And of course, the damn sticker won’t be on the same cycle as the boat registration…

This is a pile of cr@p. Everybody who hasn’t been living with their head up their @ss already knows everything that’s going to be in that course. It’s not a matter of knowing about AIS, it’s a matter of just doing what we already are legally required to do. So why do we need another damn sticker?

BTW, read the FAQs. Every boat trailer from out of state is also REQUIRED to have the sticker. That’ll be a lucrative source of ticket revenue. Not one person in 10 from outside of MN will know about this requirement as the vast majority of people who come in to stay in resorts only come once a year.

Welcome to Minnesota. Land of 10,000 Stickers. Here’s your $100 for ticket for not having one of them.

Grouse

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Just terrific. Now we have another damn sticker that expires every 3 years that we have to keep track of? And of course, the damn sticker won’t be on the same cycle as the boat registration…

Well, they’ll both fall off after 1 year…So…

TripleA
    Blaine

good luck getting anyone from states nearby to visit and spend money… now they have to worry about another sticker for the once every year or two they visit and boost our economy. Do you remember “take home tests” from your school days?.. Nope because they teach NOTHING, more like a fundraiser here. Complete JOKE.

sktrwx2200

Good rant Grouse… I am with ya.
    Welcome to Minnesota thanks for visiting, sorry you didn’t read the fine print in our 80 page boating manual. I’m issuing you a $100 for a non compliant boat trailer have a nice trip. Hope to see you back next year!

YAH RIGHT!

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>TheFamousGrouse wrote:</div>

So I can put it right next to my “permanent” trailer registration sticker? Which, I guess, isn’t really permanent now…

I’m confused already. This is going to be terrific. I’ve got 3 boat trailers, what a cluster. My trailers are going to look like I collided with a NASCAR car, freaking stickers from hitch to bunks.

Wait… I see opportunity here.

Anybody want to order a new t-shirt or hoodie from my new lineup of Stick This branded merchandise?

Grouse

rdgallo
    Morton, Illinois

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>fishbloodrivermud wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>TheFamousGrouse wrote:</div>

So I can put it right next to my “permanent” trailer registration sticker? Which, I guess, isn’t really permanent now…

I’m confused already. This is going to be terrific. I’ve got 3 boat trailers, what a cluster. My trailers are going to look like I collided with a NASCAR car, freaking stickers from hitch to bunks.

Wait… I see opportunity here.

Anybody want to order a new t-shirt or hoodie from my new lineup of Stick This branded merchandise?

Grouse

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Exactly Grouse, permanent sticker my a$$. Honest to God, just when you think things are about as muddy as they could be.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Not even sure how this is legal. If I am traveling through the state… I am subject to this law? Someone traveling from WI or say Iowa to Canada, or west is required to deal with this according to the link. Can you imagine getting stopped on the freeway and ticketed for not having a sticker on your trailer? Say it wouldn’t happen, but it is the law according to the site. I’d end up in jail for telling the officer to kiss my rear, even if he is right, and just doing his job.

I know a number of folks that will not fish in MN as they don’t get there enough, it is just easier not to with the secondary concern about if I have a jug of water in the boat, or plug in type of mess. Now, if you fish out of Everts, but catch a room in RedWing as we often have, we are subject to this? What a joke MN is becoming. I’ll miss fishing in the area, and all the good people!

“Minnesota law states that anyone transporting watercraft or water-related equipment in Minnesota needs to complete training and display the decal on their trailer.”

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

What a damn joke.
    What about guys who carry a boat or kyak on their vehicle?
    Seriously you can’t even come into or cross the state with a boat trailer not tagged?
    How about semis carrying boats? By definition they need tags too.

So, the online is $5 and tags are $2. What is to stop me from saying I have 10 boats and selling the tags?

Anyone want to buy a tag for $15? haha

riverruns
    Inactive

Now living across from Winona and pulling my boat across the interstate bridge to put in at a landing on the MN side of the river. Would that be illegal?
    Shawn

riverruns
    Inactive

Sorry never mind. I will not get one to fuel up my boat when I drive into Winona. Man you guys across the river have some funny laws?

mallardmayhem
    Spicer, MN

The guy in a tube with flippers is looking better all the time!

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

When will the turtle and bird stickers go into effect?

I mean really, does it surprise anybody here that the DNR came up with this?

tpmorgz
    Central Iowa

They are making it harder to want to visit each year. So I take this course and adhere the sticker to my trailer. What if I loan my rig to a buddy and he takes it up north? Sure the trailer has a sticker, but he has not taken the all knowing test. What good does it do? What a waste of my time.

trytoofish
    sw Mn.

I see nothing mentioned about non residents. I wonder how they plan on getting the word out to them. I’m guessing they don’t have a plan. lol

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Just like driving a car, if the speed limit in MN is 55 you’ll get a ticket for speeding if going faster.

If a non resident doesn’t have a sticker while driving through the State, they get a fine.

Elections are coming. Use your head when voting.

Sharon
    Dakota County, MN

Wow. Where’s the devil emoticon when you need it? As Grouse said, “Welcome to Minnesota. Land of 10,000 Stickers.” So, if a person has a boat but no trailer for it, would they be exempt from this goofy a$$ law?

Bassn Dan

And trailering your boat across the border for service, or buying a boat in MN from out of state.

DNR also stands for “Do Not Resuscitate.” Maybe it’s that “time” for most state DNR’S…

Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

I’m supporting this effort. I repeatedly recommended this to the DNR and Legislature to help get it in place. As much as folks want to pontificate on how futile attempts are to stop Zebs and on the dollars spent; we all need to do a better job slowing it down. Argue all you want but the compliance rate for the new laws are very low. If we can move the needle from 30% compliance to 50% with this new process, good for us. Anglers who post in these types of fishing forums are the best educated on AIS laws but we are only a small fraction of the 2+ million water craft users. Nonresidents coming to MN need to know that we care about our lakes and that we don’t want them bringing AIS in. I suggest folks start looking for ways to be part of a solution, and not defend the knukleheads who can’t take the time to pull their plug and clean weeds off their trailer. Our American Society comes with the responsibility of practicing good citizenship.

birkato

I am for the slowing down of AIS and educating people and I actually think the training is a good idea, but I see the way the DNR wastes our tax money and I don’t agree that this should cost anything and I also don’t agree that it should be something that must be renewed every 3 years. Take the training once and be done with it. It would be much more streamlined if when a person wanted to register a boat in Minnesota that they either had to take the AIS test or prove that they have taken it in the past. I guess that doesn’t solve the problem of out of staters not taking the training, but there are going to be oodles of them that will not know about this training anyway. I have too many things to remember in my life and getting a AIS sticker every 3 years is not high on my list of life priorities.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Thank goodness I don’t live in the state. As said, I’ll miss my trips to the border areas on pool 4, but anyone supporting such laws, you can consider it a success in keeping some more out of state money from traveling into your economy.

I can’t believe people are so brainwashed to think these over the top laws are a good thing. It is not purely about educating or protecting a resource… it is yet another money grab attached to a tree hugger concept.

Do you think no one did the math on the money generated by forcing you to follow this regulation. Won’t be long, and the MN DNR will be telling you when you are allowed to flush your toilets, and there will be those who actually support it.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

and not defend the knukleheads who can’t take the time to pull their plug

Thanks for the compliment Buzz!

Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

The three year renewal is because this will be tied to our Boat registration and renewal. We don’t have lifetime boat stickers. This way if rig is sold, the new owner gets picked up by the system. (I hope you didn’t forget to renew your boat in the last three years LOL, if so do it now!)

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Not sure if I mentioned it lately, but I’m with the growing number of people that do whatever they can to avoid taking their boat into MN.

What that does is keeps the gas money in WI (they need money for their road funds too)
    Keeps my grocery money in WI as I often get groceries and fill up at the same time. I most always fill up the truck at the same time.

Now if it was just me, I’m just one villager in the big pond so to speak. But these efforts (notice I didn’t rip on anyone in particular?) “MAY” slow down ais but it’s darn well not helping good ol’ Minnesota’s tourism and economy.

If a lake is AIS free but no one can use it, is it worth the cost?

‘course we can elect new officials, not so much with groups that want to protect us from ourselves. Unfortunately we are the silent majority and we only have ourselves to blame.

/rant suspended.

trytoofish
    sw Mn.

Just like driving a car, if the speed limit in MN is 55 you’ll get a ticket for speeding if going faster.

If a non resident doesn’t have a sticker while driving through the State, they get a fine.

Elections are coming. Use your head when voting.

What about the poor sucker that has no plans fishing in Minnesota. Just driving through. to fish a border state?
    So he has to get a sticker??

If they really need to do this, then maybe they should attach it to the fishing licence not the boat. people without boats can transfer AIS just as easy as those with a boat. just by changing water in there minnow bucket.

This whole law is BS. in my opinion. there are better ways to educate.

Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

Warning, Warning: Bluff Tunnel Vision Syndrome has infected BK. I think it is the river bluffs that somehow block reality or affect perception in folks down that way. Acute symptoms appear to be: inability to envision anything beyond the river bluffs, a uncontrollable appetite for canned ham flavored mystery meat, ability to set and frame most thoughts into a cement like construct. LOL

Don’t let B.T.V.S. effect you.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 131 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.