Need some advise on a new rod..

• ChasinWalleye
    Participant
    Prior lake

I’m looking into a new rod for 3/4oz to 1oz lures. Like a 7/8oz jigging rap, 1oz rippin rap, and live bait rig 3/4oz. Any suggestions or advice? Thanks in advance!

rod-man
    Participant
    Pine City, MN.

Go custom!!
    your asking 1 rod to do a lot of different things
    heavy jigging/ripping (lots of torque)
    to ultra sensitivity to be used deep (3/4oz) livebait rigging
    it can be had with a custom rod
    I wouldn’t think that there are many factory rods that can do both methods well

If your interested I can put together a custom rod that can do both very well
    shoot me a pm and I can give you more details

tucrs
    Participant
    NW Metro

I agree with Rod Man.

How long are you looking for?

I personally would go with a MH Spinning rod Fast action with a split grip.

What is the budget?

If the budget is under $100 no options for custom. Budget is $175-$225 there is some solid options for custom.

I built a few this spring for larger ripping raps. You need a very strong rod to toss those all day and not feel fatigued.

Give us some more specifics.

ChasinWalleye
    Participant
    Prior lake

I would like to keep it under $250. But if two different rods are needed, I’m open to anything. What action would you go with for which presentation?

tucrs
    Participant
    NW Metro

For the rippin rap rod go a Med-Heavy with a split grip 7’or 7’2″. Gives you the length to pick up all the extra line if they strike really early. I like the split for weight. You are going to be casting it all day.

For the live bait rod. I would go with a 7′ or 7’6″ Med Fast rod. 3/4 are on the heavier side of live bait rigging for the waters I fish. I would get the lightest possible rod to increase your sensitivity.

Having two rods would be ideal but, sometimes that may be out of the budget.

rod-man
    Participant
    Pine City, MN.

Nathan I sent a friend request
    then I can pm you a few suggestions and some idea of prices

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

For $250 I would get two rods, BC those two rods could double I’m sure for something else as well esentially being able to accomdate 4 techniques instead of two. But I’m forced to be economical as well, so whatever you end up with let us know! Too many of these threads are cliffhangers never to be seen again.

kfrj01
    Participant
    woodbury,mn

Nate just go back to the overhead ,plenty of overtime,lots of movement in the next 5 years you will be better off. Or marry that sweet girl,2 incomes are better than one.

ChasinWalleye
    Participant
    Prior lake

Nate just go back to the overhead ,plenty of overtime,lots of movement in the next 5 years you will be better off. Or marry that sweet girl,2 incomes are better than one.

Is this Coop the river rat!?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.