Need help boot question

• Bass thumb
    Participant

Looking to buy a new pair of winter/deer hunting/ice fishing/snowblowing boots. I’ve got it down to lacrosse ice kings or irish setter snowhound. Any info would be great. Need help getting a size figured out. Wear size 10 shoe.

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

If you want to take a look at 1 more boot give the Baffin apex a look. Got a pair last season and all I can say is wow. By far the warmest boot I’ve ever owned. Built real well. Hard to find to take a look at but well worth a look. Good luck with whatever you decide to go with

Kentucky Boy 75
    Participant
    Champlin, MN

If you want to take a look at 1 more boot give the Baffin apex a look.

X2 I don’t own a pair, but I have sold boots for a few years. This was the only product that customers felt the need to come up and tell me how awesome they were without me asking them about it. They do run small. Just try the liner on by its self without the boot. This will give you the best idea of getting the proper size for these boots.

super_do
    Participant
    St Michael, MN

Don’t know if they still do, but I know Joe’s used to carry Baffins. I noticed Cabelas now carries Baffin in one of their flyers.

biggill
    Participant
    East Bethel, MN

Another vote for Baffin.

I think I’ve owned mine for close to 10 years. One of the best purchases I’ve made for ice fishing.

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

Ice Kings are nice. Might be a little warm for snowmobiling if there is such a thing as being too warm! I actually use one model down for all those activities but I dont get cold feet easy.

TheFamousGrouse
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

I found the Ice Kings to be very heavy and clunky for anything that requires movement. For ice fishing I can see them, but for hunting they just are too chunky for me.

I have a single-felt version of the Ice King, can’t remember the name, but it’s Lacrosse. As warm as I need a boot, even for winter predator stands. For more active winter hunting I have a 400g lined hunting boot.

I don’t think Lacrosse makes a bad boot, it’s just a matter of finding the one that’s right for your activity level and the required level of support.

Boots are really down to specific uses IMO. Best to try on a variety and weigh the fit, pros/cons for a given activity, etc yourself.

Grouse

Shane Hildebrandt
    Participant
    Blaine, mn

i run an irish setter with 800g of insulation for almost all of my activities. never have had cold feet but I am also a very warm person. I even wear these boots snowmobiling. been a great boot and have gotten about 5 years out of them. time for some new ones, the sole is started to seperate from the boot from being worn so much.

Bass thumb
    Participant

Went with the baffin apex. Took them out deer hunting this year great great boot thanks guys for the recommendation

smackemup
    Participant
    North Metro

I have the ice kings for ice fishing, they are very nice. I occasionally use them for deer hunting, when I do I am happy because that means it is COLD. They are however big and bulky, but I have hand mine for ten plus years and they are legit. I put a hole in them either trying to drill a hole through my foot or they froze and I kicked something and they tore, don’t seem to remember the details, but I put a flexible waterproof compound on there and they have been good as new for years. If you plan on walking miles in true cold weather I might look elsewhere, but snowmobiling and ice fishing, I recommend ice kings. No experience with Baffins.

NowthenJoe
    Participant

I just bought a pair of Muck Arctic Pros a few weeks back. I have had them on the ice a few times now and have nothing but good things to say about them.

Edit: Just re-read original post of having your choices down to two already. My mistake.

biggill
    Participant
    East Bethel, MN

I have the ice kings for ice fishing, they are very nice. I occasionally use them for deer hunting, when I do I am happy because that means it is COLD. They are however big and bulky, but I have hand mine for ten plus years and they are legit. I put a hole in them either trying to drill a hole through my foot or they froze and I kicked something and they tore, don’t seem to remember the details, but I put a flexible waterproof compound on there and they have been good as new for years. If you plan on walking miles in true cold weather I might look elsewhere, but snowmobiling and ice fishing, I recommend ice kings. No experience with Baffins.

I had the ice kings years ago before I tried Baffin. Baffin is the way to go. I think I’ve had mine for about 10 years now and never, I mean never, had an issue with them. I’ll consider new boots when these wear out. I’m not kidding when I say it’ll be another 10 years.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.