Must have winter plastic's for winter panfish

• fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Ok I’m going to try and force myself to go the all plastic route for panfish this winter ( Ok I may keep a few wax worms with as a safety blanket ) What are those must haves plastics that you all use? Where is the best place to pick up the largest selection of them? Is there a online site that carries a decent supply of them? I got a few at Cabela’s last week but they did not have many choices on hand.

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

The little atom nuggies are second to none. Blood red is the color you want. I continue to try new plastic but I always end up with a nuggie on my line. There’s just something about the super fine wispy tail that drives them nuts!

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

Oh and yourebobbersdown has a great selection of little atom plastic. Thorne bros also has a ton of plastic from J&S, clam and trigger x.

Sam Slaby
    Sioux Falls

I really got into fishing finesse plastics last winter and was impressed by how well they perform. I was always keeping up with live bait, most of the time doing better. It was great when my buddy sitting right next to me trying spikes and waxies wasn’t catching anything and I was having to put new plastics on every 15 min because the fish were hitting so hard! I had a crappie hit a red mayfly nymph so hard it took the rod right out of my hand. I didn’t see it on my flasher and wasnt ready, WHAM! I always have Impulse Stonefly or Mayfly nymphs and usually red was my color. Otherwise, I like the Trigger-X mustache worms in red, white, glow, and pink. The last plastic that I can’t seem to go without is the red tails on the Custom Jigs & Spins Ratso or Shrimpo. I would slowly lower it below the ice to the bottom and most of the time the fish comes of the bottom so fast you don’t get more than a foot or so down.

glenn-d
    N C Illinois

I definitely agree with the Nuggies I always run the Micros. Some others that were really good last year – Micro Spoons & Jigs Domination Spike,and Domination Fry. J&S Customs Ice Mite & Versa Mites. B-Y Baits Mud Bug all those are some really good finesse plastics plus I agree the small Ratso body can be deadly also. It’s crazy what’s out there !!!

Ben Brettingen
    Mississippi

The Trigger-X mustache worms have become my bread and butter! Crappies, Gills, and Perch!

The other bait I’ve taken a keen liking to is the Trigger X Spike Tail. Depending on how you work it and what you pair with it in terms of jig size creates a very diverse soft plastic.

I’ll use it on a smaller jig and it darts and shoots all over the place which is great for aggressive panfish. When I throw it on a heavier jig, and with a quick and really subtle jig stroke get the tail wiggle very nicely. I found this to be great for negative fish.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

Most of the time I will still tip it with a spike even when using a plastic. The small profile of the spike isn’t going to change how the plastic moves plus it could add a little scent or meat to entice the bite

icefanatic11
    Birnamwood, WI

My personal favorite is the Custom Jigs and Spins ratso tails. I also like the VMC plastics, haven’t had any luck with the mustache worms like many others just haven’t worked for me for some reason, I like the flap-tail grub and wax tail grubs the best from VMC.

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Any good suggestions here. I will second the plastics from B-Y Baits. They are coming out with a fresh water shrimp soon, it should be a good one.

Egts

Trigger X, B Y Baits & Jr. Jigglers are my go to plastics. This will be my 1st year to only use plastics. As said above, plastics typically out produced meat for me last year. Especially on a negative bite.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

My go-to soft plastics are the Trigger X Mustache worm and Wax Tail. I tried the Maki plastics last year quite a bit and honestly found them to be less effective. I think mainly because all of them that I tried had multiple ‘legs’ on them and they all just stuck together. It was impossible to get them to separate and actually move freely in the water. Pretty disappointing.

I’ve had much better luck with the mustache worm when I pull one of the tails off, but that’s just my experience.

TripleA
    Blaine

Time for the IDO STAFF to speak up! I watch your shows and even take notes like many of your viewers. Please give us your best description of times/reasons you use plastics vs live bait… I have watched every video (multiple times) and have replayed every reason you have for bait selection on camera, but those are the days the jig/combo you were fishing worked. I really want to know how you EACH PROGRESS through your tackle box/arsenals of bait when pan fishing. When you step on a new body of water what do you start with? I am aiming this at every IDO staff member as I know each can contribute! IDO is awesome but I feel some of the “backstory/behind the scenes” could be told and that most of this forum would follow and enjoy. (obviously not for FSN/production value) Thanks and I look foreword to the new episodes!— Also thank you Ben B for the awesome video coverage and “in-depth” responses in posts.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.