Montana Trout

• Rusty21

Hey All, I am heading out for a hunting/fishing trip in the Deer Lodge Montana area. We are going the week before Thanksgiving, so the the trout will likely be getting ready for spawn. I usually use small stick baits when trout fishing white water, but I am curious if I would be better off with a egg presentation?

I haven’t used eggs before, any suggestions on how best to pull off an egg presentation?

Also, since I fish whitewater I haven’t used live bait for trout. Would a simple worm and slip bobber be as affective as anything else?

bbaune

I duck hunted the big horn river in Montana several years ago. we brought along a bunch of stick baits and the trout attacked them. This was in December-January but I’m guessing they would still work in November. We went to the nearest town looking for more Rapalas while we were there and they didn’t have a single one. All we could find was fly fishing gear.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

I haven’t used eggs before, any suggestions on how best to pull off an egg presentation?

Look on any steelhead fishing site. You can get a number of ideas if you want to fish eggs.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

Also, I know they use beads for egg imitations in Alaska. I’ve only fished beads once on the Kenai. It was a simple strike indicator setup with a snell hook and a bead. It was critical to not let the bead slide down to the hook otherwise it wouldn’t drift right. We had some kind of slider knot tied onto line that would hold the bead a few inches above the hook. When the fish grabbed the bead the hook would slide into the mouth when you set the hook.

Yarn is also an option. About the simplest tie there is. A clump of yarn tied on a hook snipped with a scissors.

Rusty21

I have noticed that too. Apparently all they do is fly fish out there. I haven’t found information on tactics using a spinning rod.

I am all stocked up on raps, so I should be good to go.

Thanks for the info guys.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.