MN migration

• sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Any reports on the duck movement in MN? Traditionally MEA weekend is a decent one for a duck shoot. I haven’t hunted MN for 2 weeks(in Canada last week) so I need a duck report if anyone has one. Going to the farm either way as always, just wondering what to expect.

690reece
    Hutchinson,Minnesota

Was out yesterday in the west metro and saw a few birds but not many. It was almost all redheads, canvasbacks, and ringbills. I did not see a mallard and only saw 1 bwt and 3 woodies. Still no geese as I’m sure the previous 2 months of hunting pressure have moved or educated the local birds. I am going in the am as the winds are switching this afternoon to WNW. I gotta believe there will be some new birds moving into the area tomorrow(At least I keep telling myself that?)!!
    Good Luck and shoot straight!!

sticker

Thanks for the update. Good luck to you and let us know if your suspicions are correct.

deertracker

I usually duck hunt pretty hard all season long. Last year I hunted 12 of the fist 14 days. With that said I have not been out yet this season. Yesterday was the first time I went afield and that was to bowhunt. Im north of Thief River Falls and saw numerous flocks of woodies and some teal from my stand last night and I wasnt even by any decent size sloughs.
    DT

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

Don’t know how far north anyone is in any of these reports, but this is what I am hearing from our northerly location in WI. Most of our local ducks have moved on. Its even difficult to find a local mallard right now, though with all the extra water we have up here, having them find a nice quiet spot to hang out probably has them out of reach. I heard very little from places like Hayward, Chetek as well this week. While looking at the migration map of northern MN in Tower, I have seen reports being similar to our area. Local ducks gone, waiting for cold air to bring some more in. I looked at our local forecast for this weekend and now it looks like they are calling for cold and wind from the NW so hopefully this will be the beginning of some kind of push. Otherwise, its back into the grouse woods for while, though I have some friends who are plucking some nice perch from the weedlines and ‘eyes and crappies from the deep holes…

troutbum
    St. Paul

Ive hunted the last three weekends in northern wi. Opener was great, lots of local mallards and woodies. Second weekend we hunted the snow/rain front. Even better than opener. Hunted 3 days last weekend with another guy and shot 2 birds. Very slow. Saw very small numbers.

sticker

Like the reports were telling me, the migration was slow and not to many ducks around. Bigger flocks moved in Sunday, but they were high and moving south. We did manage to get some ringbill shooting both mornings, but not a lot and hardly saw any other kind of duck. I have all of next week off and will spend every minute of it at the farm, hoping things improve by then.

deertracker

I found the migration. -)
    DT

Attachments:
    1. 2014-10-21-15.40.38.jpg

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.